Does your face get red after using a de razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 18, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation!

2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

All this talk about adjustables, I had to break out Slim tonight. It had been too long, I reckon. Loaded a new Voskhod, set it on "3", and lathered up with a dab of Clubman on my Strong Set and went to work on a puck of Williams. I had forgotten how good the Slim was.

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Today I shaves with an aggressive razor and a very mild Merkur 34C HD each on a different side of the face. Because I had to be careful and light in pressure and be low on the blade angle, both razors ended up getting a BBS shave with less irritation than I normally get.

Technique definitely trumps tools. I had to go with both handles very close to perpendicular to my face to achieve the shallow blade angle on both. You will cut hair at a lower handle angle but you will be scraping the hair off and not cutting it off. It also will ruin your blades and your face.

My suggestion is to find the angle where the razor is NOT cutting hair and then slowly lower the handle until it just starts to cut hair and use that angle.

Also do not forget to only shave where there is lather. Do not even do a single stroke on an area already passed with the blade. Always hit the area with the lather if you want to hit a spot again.