Don't know how to approach constant ingrown hairs in moustache area

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by SlaveShaver, Apr 25, 2017.

1. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I have a problem where I constantly have at least around 3-4 ingrown hairs popping up in different places in my moustache areas at all times. This happens irrespective of my preparation. I lather up then hold a hot water towel to my face for five minutes, then lather up again and let it sit for a minute before only shaving with the grain with a DE safety razor (if I shave against the grain in the moustache area I sometimes get dark red patches that take weeks if not months to go away - my dermatologist has said this is residual inflammation).

Irrespective of my technique I literally always have ingrown hairs in this area and don't know how to approach them. Even if I don't shave for a while (which I hate doing as my facial hair looks awful as I still don't grow hair all over my face at the moment) the ingrown hairs never seem to heal. For instance, I just went 3 and a half weeks without shaving to let these ingrown hairs heal and they were still present when I shaved again. I also often have too many ingrown hairs to shave around them, and even if I can shave around them it looks terrible because I have to leave hair in patches in certain places for weeks. But if I shave over the ingrown hairs they cut open, and I understand it is bad to shave over them because it will further inflame them even more. However, I have to wait weeks or months for the ingrown hairs to go away before I can shave again, and then when I shave I get new ingrown hairs. So I probably only spend a few days every month with a completely clean shave.

Also, even when I have no ingrown hairs, I have these red/brown spots that are left behind that can take 6 months to go away, and sometimes don't seem to go away at all. My area above my lip just looks like a mess with small red dots everywhere.

Lately I have been trying to use as little pressure as possible (I think that has helped a bit).

My dermatologist (who I'm very happy with) recommended electric shaving to prevent that inflammation which I briefly mentioned above. That did help with the inflammation, and it faded quite a bit, but I noticed with electric shaving that I ended up getting even more ingrown hairs and even larger ingrown hairs that I had before, and I don't understand how this is possible (given that most people switch over to electric shaving to avoid ingrown hairs).

Could someone give me advice on what to do, because I can't see any solution myself.

2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Do not despair. Be patient with growing a mustache.
    ... Don

3. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Thanks for the advice but I can't stand doing it as it looks awful.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that if I grow a moustache I also get a lot of pimples forming in the same area, which will then further delay the time in which I can shave. They pop up so frequently when I grow it out that often I can't shave at all. And they seem to take forever to go away as well.

Also, I don't like spending 95% of my time on this planet with a moustache.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den!

Could you tell us a bit more about what products you use on these problem areas?

RyX likes this.
  5. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Thank you for welcoming me.

I am currently experimenting with The Art of Shaving lavender shaving cream (I had for a while been using a palmolive shaving cream that you can get in New Zealand (and I believe Australian) supermarkets before wanting to try other things. I don't use any postshave (or preshave) because everyone I have tried gives me dermatitis on my cheeks. In fact, I don't put anything on my face ever because I have hypersensitive skin that doesn't like anything being put on it, including any sunscreen (so I often get bad sunburn and have a lot of sun damage for someone my age). I think the only reason I don't get dermatitis when using shaving cream is because I don't have to yet use it on my cheeks as my hair does not grow there yet. (I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start growing hair on my cheeks). So, yeah, the shaving cream is literally all that I use apart from cold water that I use to wash my face afterwards.

Is that helpful?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I suppose I could use a post- and pre-shave on all the areas apart from my cheeks, but this is not really a solution for when I have to start consistently shaving hairs on my cheeks (which will be soon, I think, as I am seeing the first hairs growing there).

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

For folks with sensitivities, the products can be tested by applying to the inside of the elbow. Rub a little there, leave it for an hour or less if it shows signs of irritation. The scent in many products may come from Essential Oils. These are distilled from plants and are concentrated to the point of possibly being harmful in full strength.
    There are also animal fats, tallow, lanolin and such that may cause irritation.
    For your post shave care those products tend to include antiseptic ingredients. If you damage your skin these help kill bacteria. Witch hazel, and alcohol based aftershave, or a balm may help.
    (I'm not a doctor, check with your dermatologist.)

George X likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Another alternative, albeit not a wonderful one, is to try going completely old school. Olive oil as your 'lather'. (It's what the Greeks and Romans used). I would use this as a last resort, however.
    @RyX is correct about testing the products on other skin. I personally prefer the inner arm, just below the wrist.

RyX likes this.
  9. Bookworm

Oh - what are you using for your shave? Blade/razor.

10. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

RyX, thanks for your suggestion but the things that cause the dermatitis on my face don't cause it on other parts of my body, including the inside of my elbow. For instance, I can wear sunscreen perfectly fine on the rest of my body, including the inside of the elbow, without having a reaction but I get massive rashes if I put it on my face, so that is not really a solution. It is just my face that gets irritated.

I guess I could just use some post shave on the area where I get the ingrown hairs. Would that prevent them from popping up?

What is actually causing the ingrown hairs though, because I think my preparation is fine.

11. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Bookworm, I am using the Polsilver Super Iridiums (after about 4 shaves I throw them) with an Edwin Jagger DE86 (I think, it's been a while since I bought it).

12. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Yes, it's the DE86.

13. Bookworm

OK. This may sound stupid, or just insane, but you might try one of the lower grade blades, such as Derby, or Dorco (or one of the "Dollar Store" branded blades)

You may need less of a clean, sharp cut.

14. Bookworm

If you're pushing through adolescence (14-19 or so), then many of your issues will probably eliminate themselves over time. I realize that isn't helpful right now.

@ShaveFu might have some suggestions for you, however.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Post shave products are nearly as varied as the faces they are applied to. Those with high alcohol content may be drying - nice if you have oily skin. Lotions may be moisturizing to help with dry skin. They should all help to keep the skin from getting infections from Razor Burn.
    That's the second part of what I quoted. Shaving too deep cuts the hair below the skin surface. That's what multiple blade cartridges try to do. If the hair is cut too low, it may turn and grow sideways or down. Those shavers with curly hair tend to suffer. That a hair grown in; In Grown. Maybe you should avoid going for BBS (baby butt smooth). Accept go for a SAS (Socially Acceptable Shave). Get the beard reduction well enough to not show, even if you can feel stubble.

JBSharp likes this.
  16. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I was using the Derby blades for a few years, and then switched over to the Polsiver SIs because I read a lot of different forum posts from people saying that they were better for irritation. Also, the Derby blades seemed quite inconsistent at the time (I would have a good pack of 5, but then I would open another pack and they would keep catching on my hairs), but that may have been because I wasn't being consistent around with my preparation. I find it so hard to keep everything consistent that I'm probably changing multiple things at a time each shave without realizing, and then when I get ingrown hairs or irritation suddenly, I don't know what to attribute it too.

Although I do remember that with the Derby blades I had much fewer ingrown hairs, I think. I find it hard to remember. I think I will try them again and see what happens.

So Bookworm, are you saying that it might be the sharpness of the SIs that are causing the ingrown hairs?

I'm 25 actually, but everyone says I look really young for my age (people sometimes refuse to sell me alcohol even with my ID because they always think it's fake), so in a way, maybe you are correct.

17. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

OK, do you have a recommendation for a good postshave product that prevents both ingrown hairs and razor burn?

As for the SAS comment, I only shave with the grain, not across or against, so I am kind of already doing that and not going for the BBS. Are you saying there are extra things I can do on top of not doing across or against the grain to avoid a BBS?

18. Bookworm

In a way, yes. The point of shaving is to cut the hair off even with the skin. However, even the finest of razors won't do this. It starts to cut, and pulls slightly as it does so - this is standard with any blade - and you end up with a slightly angled hair, with the pointy part just sticking up. The point of the XTG and ATG is to make that point more centralized, rather than just on one side. Thus, leading to more of a smooth feel than running your hand across those initial points would be. With a duller blade (stickier?) you should end up with a rougher cut, which would be less likely to penetrate the side of the pore/follicle, causing an ingrown hair.

You might also see if you can get an older SuperSpeed. They're mild shavers, which may help. I don't know that the DE86 is mild or aggressive - I've never used one, so I can't compare.

It's old school, but you could also try wiping a bit of rubbing alcohol across your upper lip after shaving, if you didn't want to try expensive aftershaves. If not, something like a high proof gin, vodka, or everclear. That'll help kill any bacteria left from the shave. (As high proof alcohols don't have added perfumes. With gin, it's multiply distilled, then has some juniper added. So it's very pure)

Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Before hoping for a magic potion to reduce ingrowns and razor burn, I'd address the cause. @Bookworm suggested trying different patterns of shaving. WTG, XTG, & ATG for many faces works out to Down, Across, and Up. It's the Against The Grain that seems to give the skin irritation or razor burn. Holding the razor with the cap on you skin & handle pointed directly out, start your shaving stroke. Tip the handle until you hear cutting of hairs. That's riding the cap. The blade is near flat to your skin for the optimum cutting angle similar to straight razor shaving. Tipping the handle more and getting close to the guard bar makes the blade scrape the skin causing razor burn. There's a link in my signature below - Ride The Cap!
    I'm one of the fortunate people that suffer no allergies or reactions to the post shave products I've tried. They cover a wide range of mostly locally available products. I've found for most of my shaves an alum bar rub & rinse, followed by an alcohol based aftershave keeps me in good condition. If I'm trying a new-to-me razor and suffer misadventure and razor burn I'll still do the alum (burns where I have scraped), an alcohol aftershave ( more burning but it's killing germs and sterilizing my abused skin), then a balm.
    The alum block is cheap & last a long time. The aftershaves can be cheap because they are more for alcohol than perfume. The balm depends on what's available to you. There are three I've tried that I like. Cremo Face Moisturizer is available in several chain stores. Clinique Post Shave Balm is triple the price and works about as good as Cremo. I also have a Razorock Aftershave Wax. Great for windy winter time because it's a little longer lasting. The downside of these products is they may add oily ingredients to your skin that can cause breakouts, pimples, etc. Upside is the moisturizing, healing ingredients like aloe and oils.
    This is all part of a grand experiment you will have to perform on your skin. Easy to see when something goes wrong, more difficult to pin down exactly what among all the variables you need to adjust. I invite you to look into a group that tries to help folks get their best shaves. Down there is my signature - The 30 Day Rule / Focus crew is a bunch of New Shavers learning to use their Vintage gear & a bunch of Vintage Shavers trying out New gear. It's a no pressure open discussion. If you have problems, they may have suggestions. Ultimately it's up to you and you seem to desire to improve your results.

20. SlaveShaver

SlaveShaver Member

I just tried shaving again using as little pressure as possible and just had the worst shave of my life. I experienced quite a bit of tugging - more than usual. The blade was picking up the lather while not really taking the hairs at all. I think perhaps part of the problem is that I usually experience quite a bit of tugging a lot of the time, and it doesn't seem to help with sharper blades (as I am now using the Polsiver SIs). It's almost like I have to use a bit of pressure or else I can't shave the hairs off. Like if I used no pressure at all, which from what I've seen is what most people recommend, I wouldn't be able to shave because the hairs just wouldn't come out.

It's funny because I was watching some safety razor youtube videos today where they say that the blade should glide through the hair and that there should be no tugging involved. I swear I could count on my hands the number of times I've shaved where I've had that experience. I've also noticed that when watching the videos that when they shave a particular 4 cm area of the face, they literally only swipe the blade through once and that's that. I am almost never able to do that without tugging my way through the area (with the exception of my sideburns and a few other areas of the face).

The fact that I have this experience makes me suspect that I'm doing some very fundamental thing wrong, but I don't know what it is. I'm pretty sure I am following all the basic rules. Is it possible that I am not making good lather or not applying it properly or something? I really need some shaving coach or something to stand there and watch me as I shave so they can tell me what I'm doing wrong, haha.

RyX likes this.