Don't See These For Sale Very Often

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

To a collector of original classic cars, a restoration is worthless. To a collector who prefers their cars with low miles and original paint, a car with a re-worked motor and fresh paint is worthless. To a collector who just wants something pretty, sure a restored classic is just perfect. With cars, I prefer modified, but to me a razor is valuable because of its history. Sure, I would pay far more for a razor that was NOS, or like new than one that was heavily used, but these are rare enough in any condition that this is an amazing price, and would be more than welcome in my collection.
    But like I said, some collectors are interested in original goodies, and some are interested in shiny. To each his own.

Scott, I think even just for the case that was a decent price, especially since you already had another razor!

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

No!! :angry017 :angry019

What's wrong with just leaving it in its original collectible condition? Re plating this rare razor would be nothing short of a crime IMO. To me it's worth much more in the condition we see and is worthless as a re plated shiny hunk of metal.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, then which one of you wants to buy this Regent Tech off me?

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That's a shame Rick.

But it is razors in that condition that make the nice originals worth that much more.

Yes I also have a box of de plated, bent and corroded razors. I'd never consider re plating them, they've served their purpose and have earned their current condition through years of love and heavy use. Basically re plating a razor like that would be spit shining a turd and erasing its history. You'd probably end up with a shiny but mechanically shot Regent Tech, not much good to anybody.

If it was mine I'd probably give it away to a newbie so it could continue shaving.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Are you kidding? Now I can preserve my pristine Regent Tech, and use this very mechanically sound razor to shave with. It's history shall continue! :D

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with rodd on that.

Fuzzy

7. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Hello. :D

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't normally quote myself, but for the sake of arguing, I want to clarify what I meant.

Let's say you stumble across a Plymouth Road Runner Superbird that is mechanically sound, but the paint has all oxidized and looks like crap. Do you repaint it or not? Isn't repainting a rare car considered an acceptable restoration? Why is returning the original plating to a rare razor any different?

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Heck no. I'd leave it original or maybe a light buff and wax. You'd be surprised how paint can be brought back from the dead with work. I'm not a car collector, but in that situation I'd find someone to sell it to who would appreciate the original condition and then use the money to buy a cheaper restored Superbird or Daytona (truth be told I'd rather have a Challenger TA or Cuda AAR).

The last line in your quote is confusing as you can never return to the original plating by putting new metal on a razor. :confused: Once it's gone it's gone forever.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is not acceptable to everyone. A lot of collectors like the original ones. The restored ones are considered lesser pieces.. even if in better condition.

Fuzzy