Dorco SE blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I would not have bought Dorco SE blades, based on their reputation, but a seller had thrown in some free samples with a couple of other orders that I'd made from him. He sent me one ten pack, and five others loose, but paper wrapped, so why not try one?

Tried one for the first time this morning, and knew that it wasn't going to work out after just a couple of strokes. Finished the shave with something else. The problem with these blades wasn't just the sharpness. I noticed that it was moving around slightly inside my 1912, so that the edge wasn't staying up against the blade stop on one side. Putting it side by side with a "regular" blade, it was obvious that the height was very slightly less, and also that the spine wasn't perfectly straight, so it just wouldn't fit snugly inside a 1912. Don't know about other models of SE, but I don't intend to try.

Nothing against the seller at all. It wouldn't be fair to complain about the quality of free samples, and these are still good enough to use as scraper blades.

2. Thank you for sharing this with us ..

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If you are referring to the seller that I am thinking about, he has been great in any transaction that I have done for him and he started carrying the feather SE blades after people on this board requested them. A great vendor; however, it is a shame that he sells the Dorco SE blades. The DE blades are good for many, but those SE blades are not really suited for shaving in my experience. I guess that there may be some soft bearded fellows that will claim to get 30 days out of one blade, but for me the first pass is the last.

And yet.. those Dorco blades are a step up from the Dorco made SE blades that are rebranded under the Best Choice brand and sold in my local grocery stores. The only thing that I found a good use for those even cheaper Dorco SE blades were to practice making blades for the Valet. Actually, I also use some of those cheaper SE blades for fountain pen repairs as well.

4. Slivovitz

Yes, we must be thinking of the same fellow. I deliberately didn't identify him so as not to associate him with a bad product.

I noticed some Korean made SE blades in a Midwestern chain, Meijer's, when I visited Illinois. Probably re-branded Dorcos as well.

5. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Dorco Platinum blades are great I think!..its the stainless ones #300 that cant be "un-harshed"..:happy102

ST

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The DE blades can do well. It is the single edge blades that are so bad.

typed on the go through tapatalk

7. leftyteck

leftyteck New Member

Thanks for the heads up!
    :signs001

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I noticed these Dorco SEs as well. I am not a big SE user so I passed on buying them. The box I saw had them identified as box cutting blades. I think sometimes we (wet shavers) see something and we think to ourselves that the item can be more than what it really is. In this case, I think you found out that these really are only what they are identified as. They are box cutting blades and nothing more.

Thanks for the information.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, there probably are Dorco SE blades labeled as such. However, my experience are with Dorco SE blades labeled shaving blades and sold in a store with other razors, cream, etc...

10. Slivovitz

The Dorcos I've got are just labeled "Superior Quality Single Edge Blades". They are sold as shaving blades by this seller at least.

On the other hand, some of the Gem stainless blades that are sold in bulk by EMS, Pella, and others, are marked "industrial use only" on the package, but seem to be the same as the ones packaged for shaving, and work for that purpose.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Very true.. the best SE blades I have are not sold by Pella as shaving blades.