Drying soap pucks after use question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GregShaves, Jan 25, 2016.

1. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

Ok so i picked up a bowl of D.R. Harris soap today (im loving the sent and the soap so far after the first use today). So after my shave I left the lid of the bowl off so the puck could dry (good practice?). I noticed that on the surface of the puck, as well as the inner sides of the bowl, there is a fine crust (almost like a dust or flakey-ness) forming. Is this stuff that is ok to go into the mix next time i load up the soap? or should this stuff get cleaned off of there? I don't see it being an issue right now, I just want to get another opinion. Other than that stuff forming, the soap is clean, no hairs or bristles etc. Thanks for any info or tips!

Greg.

JBSharp, SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

You will be fine to use again...I rinse/clean off my pucks after every use and use a towel to pat them dry, however I know many keep that leftover in the tin/bowl for the next shave.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

Okay great, thanks.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Yup - it's just dried lather ... nothing to worry about. Just use it again.

Did you buy the Harris soap in the wooden bowl or do you use a different container? Leaving the soap container open to let the soap dry is a good habit, but with the wooden bowl it wouldn't actually be necessary, because the lid does not close airtight. The soap dries anyways, just more slowly with the lid on ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I leave the lid open on my containers for a few hours so the puck can dry. No need to rinse...that is just dried soap lather on the puck.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I just rinse out the bowl or whatever the puck is sitting in, put the lid on and put it away. Any moisture on the soap's surface only creates a very thin film that makes for great lather the next time around, IMO.

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I usually return leftover lather on the puck. Makes for a quick and easy lather next time!

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Close it wet and return tomorrow - at least that is what I do.

Spyder and tuxxdk like this.
  9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

What he said

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

JBSharp likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yup X2.

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I usually let the puck dry for a few hours before putting it away. As far as the flaky lather goes, it can be rehydrated for next shave, or it can be rinsed away. I prefer to keep leftover lather in the bowl.

13. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

Y
    Yes I have the mahogany bowl, that's a good tip as you are right, the lid just kind of sits there loosely.

JBSharp likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

What they said:)

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I shave at night, and let the soap dry out, overnight. I don't rinse the dried lather, unless I'm feeling the OCD kicking in that day.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's one guy on B&B that is so parsimonious that he not only doesn't rinse off his soap, he doesn't even rinse out his brush. Apparently he's been doing that for a number of years with no ill effects.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

O.o
    what the heck is parsimonious?:signs002:

18. Marverel

frugal ... money saving ... economical ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. Marverel

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tight-wad to the extreme. Sounds like a really good thread topic:)

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.