Durham duplex de

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimmyfingers, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I got this off ebay the other day and it came with a case.
    Its a cool looking razor but I cant find blades for it. Does anyone know where to get some blades for this thing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If i cant find some blades for this then Im just going to sell it.

2. tom myers

tom myers Member

Durham Duplex

The Durham Duplex safety razors took the same blades as the Durham Duplex replaceable blade straight razors. The DD straight razor was the same basic "no sharpen" concept as some current razors such as the Feather, but alas, I don't believe any current razors use the same double edge style blade as the Durham. I'm not really certain of this, so hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone will come along and correct me and let us know what blades might, in fact, fit the Durham.

Regards,
    Tom

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Carpet cutting blades fit it. Have a gander at this thread.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sorry for the bump but I just stropped and corked some NOS DD blades and dropped them into a DD safety razor (the snazzy aluminum handled safety bar version, not the more common open comb). The shave was exactly equal to the best SE shave I've ever had with a Gem or an injector, but quicker because of the wider coverage and not one nick. I'm sold.

I may try new carpet blades someday but I'm getting such good result with this one it won't be until my stock of DD's runs out. Anyone else here use a DD?

Jim99 likes this.
  5. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I liked the bump 'cause I think these are neat little razors. Fortunately I've found a few with complete sets of blades.
    I know these are often overlooked, but I just couldn't resist the boxes and the nice condition they were in.
    I just picked up the AMF sickle bar last week. The script reads:

"Don't change the mowing machine knife,,,,just slip a new blade in the sickle bar"

Maybe I'll hone up the two blades already in the straights and give them a go. These are one of the few in my collection I haven't shaved with yet.

Attached Files:

Jim99 likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

My 1920s "Durham Duplex DuBarry" set. I gave it a go for a shave once but didn't like it. Too wide. Definitely worthy of a place in anyone's collection though.

[​IMG]

BamaT and Jim99 like this.
  7. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Ha! Seems we have similar tastes in razors. Doesn't seem like the type of razor that would thrill me either.

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

I fitted Feather AC Pro blades into a Durham Dorset. I found it VERY aggressive. I also tried the AC ProGuards. The wraps helped, but for my skin/beard, it was still too rough. I actually bought a box of those carpet blades, and it was much nicer. I can see how a Durham blade would give a fantastic shave in these razors. But the carpet blades are decidedly not for shaving! They rust in a second, dull before the shave is done, they're uncoated. And I suspect the bevel is different. The only thing good about it was the exposure.

That was ages ago. Just recently I noticed Classic Shaving had some new AC blades, the Pro Light. I got some, and they work very well in the Dorset. I took a bit of fussing the get the AC blades to work in the Durham. I used those flat refrigerator magnets to hold the blade while putting the cap on and keep the edge from jacking up when the cap presses down in the center. The DuBerry is a bit more aggressive than the Dorset, at least with the AC blades.

I have an idea to mod the Dorset so it can be opened by pinching, sort of like the Feather AC razors. I'll put a wire bead across the width of the head in the center to act as a fulcrum. I'll put a spring metal band across the back edge. Pinching the back edge would seesaw the front edge open. Drop the AC blade in, and release to hold the blade in place.

Also, if you cut an AC Pro so its the same width as a DE blade, they work amazingly well in a Progress DE razor. I set it 5 or more.

I have a few NOS Durham blades. I might have to clean them up and give them a try.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have never tried the straight razor style DD, as I've never been of a mind to try a straight at all. But I do have the open comb, ornate style handle you see all the time. I agree the shave from that one is very severe -- would mow off a beard in nothing flat but I don't have a beard.

The other style, though, with the aluminum handle with DURHAM in big letters, and the safety bar, gave me an excellent shave. Basically like shaving with 2 Gems welded side by side. I highly recommend getting the safety bar model if you see one (I've only ever seen one, the one I got from the 'bay). It's double cool, too, because the "back" of the head doubles as a trimmer blade -- the sharp angle of it lets you get right in under the nose. Would love to hear comments from anyone else who has this model.

If your DD blades are "new" and minimal decay, they should strop up well enough for a good shave...as I said, it's equal to my Gem and Pella blade shaves. A bit harsh right out of the package but after strop and cork, acceptably smooth.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

Very cool. I don't guess I've ever seen one with a solid bar guard. There's not one pictured in the Waits Safety Razor Compendium either. Mind posting pictures of yours?

Edit: Oh. Nevermind. I see it now. It's the Durham Dorset with the Enders type handle. I understand now.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This the one in your book?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

Yes, that's it, the Durham Dorset. Thanks.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If anyone can say how many models (non-straight type) DD put out I'd love to know. Thanks in advance,

14. IAmTheJody

That I can see, there were 3. The DuBarry, the Dorset and the T-Type which looks similar to the Dorset but has a slimmer handle.

[​IMG]

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks, sir, that's exactly what I wanted. If the heads on the T-types are all more or less the same, then I lucked out finding a Dorset; the shave is better.

16. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Hmmmm...

These things interest me.:D

17. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Me too G in D. Now that I dragged them out for photos, I can't put them away until I give one a spin. Both the straight as well as the T type.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Went out today and bought a 5 pack of the Stanley's. They were a bit tighter fit getting in but that's actually a good thing...for some reason the DD blades had the tiniest bit of slop in their fit so I always had to make sure the head and blade edge was aligned. Not so with the Stanley blade, it seated itself just right.

The shave was excellent. Feels like shaving with a straight (the few times I've used a straight), sounds louder than an SE, it has 2 exposed edges like a DE, the backside blade maneuvers right up under the nostrils like an injector. All in all, a damn fine razor. Now I'm gonna go see what a cheap price on bulk is for the Stanley's. Next time I'll try the new blade in the T-type, but I suspect the Dorset's going to still give better results.

And to top my day off, I found a Slim in superb condition, a decent black handled (short) adjustable and two '70s era flare tips, all for $2 each. Right when I was about to swear off DEs, too. Ah well, scrounging don't get much better than that.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I have all the Durham Duplex razors and they are excellent shavers. They do take a few shaves to get used to the width. The Personna blades will provide a pretty decent shave, but are not top notch. The original Durham blades, if you can afford them do provide an outstanding shave.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I Have Two Of The Straight Razor Style And One DE Style , I Got Some Blades Off Of E-Bay Were Supposed To Be Personna's But They Are Stainless And I Get Great Shaves With Them, Hope This Helps, I Have Used The Stanley Carpet Blades With Good Results Also Best Regards , Steve

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017