Dusting off some DEs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's possible that I may have made one or two casual references around here to my preference for injector and SE razors. As a class, DE razors are number three in my book.

Which isn't to say there's anything wrong with them. One of my intentions for this year is to try out some of the great vintage razors which I've had lying around for a while, untried.

[​IMG]

Left to right in the above photograph:

• 1908 Gillette Single Ring. My oldest DE, and my second or third oldest razor. Very beat up, but looks like it should be shaveworthy, and it only cost me $3.47.
    • 1910 ABC Pocket Edition. The threads inside the handle were stripped, so I got it very cheaply. I was able to fix the handle with a 10-32 Helicoil, and now I'm eager to try it. The gunmetal case is a bit scratched on the outside, but otherwise in good condition.
    • Gillette Sheraton. A very interesting looking TTO razor. The head has most of the plating worn off, but it still looks good, in a two tone sort of way.
    • 1970 Gillette Super Adjustable. I used it this morning, with a 1972 (S2 date code) Gillette Super Stainless blade. Great shave.

After this, there are more DE razors waiting in the wings, a Clix, a Probak, a Neillite, and others. They may have to wait a bit longer though, as I also want to try out my Rolls. So many razors, so little time.

Turk and alpla444 like this.
  2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

That ABC has a great looking handle! Pardon my ignorance, but are they all like that? Is that handmade?

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

i remember reading a thread about decorative razors. That ABC is absolutely gorgeous handle. Hope you try these and have a good experience

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The ABC razors were special edition razors made by the American Button Company for Gillette. Some were gold plated, others, like mine, silver. There were several different styles of handle and case, manufactured rather than handmade, or so I assume.

One of the true collectors around here may be able to give you more information, and additional links, but here are a couple from mr-razor.

1909 model, gold plated, and with a different style case than mine. Also, I don't have the engraved cap.

Empire Set. A different handle and case style.

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Thanks for the info! Beautiful DE! :happy005

6. CSL

CSL Member

I use my Sheraton quite a lot.

Hope you enjoy the results you get with yours.

7. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

The American Button Company made a number of different handles for the razors they made for Gillette. I don't have them all but these are in my collection.

ABC_handles_numbers_a.jpg

Len

9. AwNix

AwNix Member

I don't know how people can have razors sitting around never being used. Makes me crazy. So many of us drool over this stuff we don't own and some people are lucky enough to! Any razor I get as long as I haven't owned one like it before gets used on the next shave.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I learned a long time ago, envying and begrudging what others have or what they chose to do with what they have is a rather unhappy way to live. We have a lot of members who collect razors on this forum. If it is a problem for you, you may want to refrain from visiting the razor sections of this forum.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

To add to what JoAnna said and be more blunt about it... your numerous posts putting people down for collecting and not using razors, is getting tiring and annoying. Try being less judgmental of others and just stick to what works for you. Thanks.

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

We sometimes enjoy our feelings of lacking as it often adds to our feeling of entitlement. If we try to drop those feeling of lacking we also become a person that finds it easier to learn.

:)-)

GDCarrington likes this.