DVH PIF *DONE*

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by macaronus, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

*DONE*

De Vergulde Hand is a Dutch brand, which, I believe, is difficult to come by abroad. Therefore I offer you:

a brand new DVH boar brush, accompanied by a puck of DVH 'Extra Fris'.

How to get it?

You'll have to do some research. DVH was established in the year 1554 AD. 53 years later a little boy was born somewhere in The Netherlands who would rise to become an internationally famous man. I was born in the same town as he and I am proud to be named after him.

The largest part of his life this man could be found at sea. There is, however a European landlocked country (which doesn't border on any sea), but where this man is famous to this day. His commemoration is an annual happening, they put up a statue of him and his feat is one of the best-known facts in this country. It is, however, much less known here in The Netherlands.

So, the question is:
    who was this man and why is he so famous in a country so far from his fatherland?

The first to post the right answer is the winner! If you can't find the answer (or if you're just too lazy to search :D) you can still post you are interested. If by noon (GMT -1 h) on March 15 (my mother's birthday) there is no answer, I'll be using random.org's list randomizer to select the winner - and I'll post the answer then as well.

I just might give a hint on March 7th if needed...

This PIF ships worldwide.

Hope you enjoy the search! Good luck!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Michiel de Ruyter

Won the 3rd Anglo-Dutch war?

*edit* And he had a huge hand in the 1st and 2nd Anglo-Dutch wars too. He is like George Patton is to Army guys or Chesty Puller to U.S. Marines. A classic warrior. Stuff of legends.

macaronus likes this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Michiel de Ruyter

Famous in Hungary for freeing 26 Protestant Hungarian ministers from slavery. His statue was erected in the town of Debrecen.

macaronus and battle.munky like this.
  4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hans Brinker . Something to do with shaving or skate boarding. They wrote a book about him.

macaronus likes this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Congratulations! We have a winner! Was it too easy?
    Please PM me your address. Will send you the goods!

battle.munky and SharpSpine like this.
  6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Yippee! I just love the DVH & can't wait to try their boar brush. Thanks a ton Mike!

macaronus likes this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Congrats Brian and great PIF Mike!

macaronus likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congrats, Brian! I hope you'll enjoy the DVH brush as much as I do.

Thanks for joining the PIF Party, Mike! :happy096:

macaronus likes this.
  9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: :happy096:

macaronus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.