Edwin Jagger Head Quality Issue.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I experienced a break on the screw shaft of my Edwin Jagger Kelvin razor today while moving the shave stand to it's storage spot in my closet. It accidentally fell off the stand and only dropped 2 feet while I was kneeling down to pick something up. It just broke from such a tiny fall. I was surprised. I contacted Edwin Jagger about it and I'm awaiting response. It's only 8 months old and was perfectly cared for with no rust, not a blemish and then....it happened. I searched online and it appears that many Edwin Jagger heads are shared with Muhle. I'm suspecting based on my searching that the Kelvin uses the same head as a DE89/R89. Can anyone confirm? If so, is there perhaps a more 'robust' built head that has greater durability?

I'm wondering if I can count on an Edwin Jagger razor to stand the test of time if such a tiny impact can break a component. It's been a wonderful razor for 8 months and it's gorgeous and cleans up better than any of my razors. The finish on it seems extremely durable and resists micro scratches extraordinarily well. That's why the weak screw shaft of the head was such a surprise. It seems to be Edwin Jagger's only Achilles Heel.

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hey Tim. Sorry to hear about this. If the EJ razor is a cast alloy, then this is not unexpected. Zamack is a lower cost material that is used in many razors. When it breaks, it breaks. My experience is that it is pretty brittle and can shatter like you talk about happening to your razor.

I broke a Merkur in a similar fashion. Now I only have vintage, brass razors of the Gillette family.

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Here's another description of the Kelvin. "The chrome plating on the zinc/aluminum head and alloy handle...."

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is why I have always preferred old vintage razors. Sure, the new shiny razors Look nice, but almost all are made of Zamak, except for a rare few, and Stainless Razors. It's not if your Zamak will fall victim to Zamak rot, but when? That is, if it's a daily shaver.
    Zamak is also more fragile.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    CarlfromMO likes this.
  6. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I had a similar accident with mine where the threaded pin was stuck inside the handle. The only hope is that Edwin Jagger release their stainless steel razor soon but not sure how similar it will be to the new Muhle Rocca head though.

7. camardicus

camardicus New Member

Hi there,

If you wrote to repairs@edwinjagger.com your experience should be positive.

I had an issue with my D89 razor head and they replaced it for me upon proof of purchase and picture of the razor in little time.

Such a great company to deal with.

Best of luck!

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Alloy heads with handles attached have a good chance of breaking off at the post if dropped in the right spot.. It's the weakest part of the razor and the metal is really brittle.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Carbide Mike and Eeyore like this.
  9. Tim Spencer

Yeah, this is why I'm wondering if any aftermarket company decided to make a more sturdy OEM version of their own and sell separate. I need to know where to buy more to stock up. I don't know how many heads I might go through over the years. I wish these were machined from very sturdy/corosion-resistant threaded shafts. If they did, then these razors would last decades. You're right jimjo. The weakest part of this razor is that screw shaft on the head of the razor. The rest of the razor is sturdy and looks like new after 8 months. I could literally sell it as 'new' and nobody would question it. That's how well the rest of the razor has held up.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Tim Spencer

I can see that someone is trying to make a convert over to the straight razor crowd. If I ever bought a straight razor, it would be just one and it would have to be an a fully restored and gorgeous antique.

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You have just joined a large club of people with broken off EJ heads. It is a sister organization to the club of rotted off cap post owners. The good news is that they seem to replace a lot of them for people.

The Maggard closed comb heads (V2) were identical clones to to the 89 heads. Like identical as in you couldn't tell them apart, and they sold for about seven bucks. I have not seen one of their new ones (V3) to tell if there has been a design change. Maybe someone here can tell you. Or you can order one and see. You'd only be out a few bucks.

Good Luck

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

Do you know if any of these other compatible heads from these other companies are of improved, more robust quality?.....or are they all made by the same source?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The only way to get really better quality is with a good modern stainless like the Rockwell 6S or with older vintage..up to late 1950's like a Gillette Tech or New. All these zinc type heads are pretty much the same hit and miss quality..might go for a few years or not...

Carbide Mike and CarlfromMO like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

They are all the same thing: zamak.

Muhle is coming out with a stainless steel head that is very similar to their 89, but I haven't looked into it much.

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Sh...m-edge-stainless-steel-with-black-handle.html

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Tim Spencer

I would honestly only need the very top of the head piece to be made of stainless steel to give strength to the screw shaft. The rest of the razor is more than sturdy and resists corrosion and scratches well. That weak screw-shaft is the failure of the design.

Damn though, that Rocca is a NICE, 'boss' looking razor. The handle is high class.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

I think it is sort of an all or nothing endeavor.

I know it sucks, but if you consider the total number of razors they make, compared to the few that fail, coupled with the fact that they may very well replace it for you.... When you compare that to the $150 plus cost of a stainless one, you could buy six or seven replacement heads for your EJ and maybe pass five of them on to your heirs. Some people have good luck with them.

That Muhle SS is a possibility. There are many SS razors that offer similar shaves: The ATT M1 isn't too far off for example.

17. Tim Spencer

I guess I want to find a way to make the EJ Kelvin razor last for a long, long time because it was the first DE razor I ever bought when launching into old-school shaving. So, it has some sentimental value to me. If I can put a steel top-piece on it, then it will likely last for ages.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Fatip.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you want it last...don't use it.
    If you use it, then expect 2-10 years worth of life from it, depending on drops, bumps, and falls, humidity, water hardness, how well your razor was polished before plating, how well it was plated, how well the plating was polished, how often you screw and unscrew your razor to change blades, etc.

I look at Zamak the same way I look at plastic forks. They can be washed and reused, but you know they are going to break someday, and the more often they are used, the more likely the chances of breakage.

20. Tim Spencer

Looks like if I want this razor to be in my collection for a long time while still under user, I must either:
    1. Buy a bunch of Zamak Heads and replace them as they break.
    or
    2. Wait for the Muhle Stainless Steel Head and find out how compatible it is with the existing razor.

If the stainless steel head is compatible, I'm confident this razor will last a long time.