Elvado Shave Soap Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rweb82, Oct 9, 2014.

1. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

So, I was fortunate enough to score a shave set in a raffle- which included a Vie Long Cachurro horse hair brush, and a puck of the unscented Elvado shave soap. Elvado is a newer entry to the world of traditional lathering soaps, and they are from Canada. Their soap is listed as "Bio-Pure Vegan," with African Shea Butter. The packaging also says that it "yields over 180 superb shaves." It does have a very nice ingredient list- which I've listed below:

Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Elaesis Guineensis (Palm Oil) , Cathamus Tintorius (Safflower Oil), Glycerine (Kosher of vegetable origin), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Purified Water, Fragrance (Parfum 100% Natural), Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Avena Sativa (Oat Protein), Titanium Dioxide (Mineral Whitener)

Now, on to the performance...I have to say, for a soap with quality ingredients- which is priced at $20 for a 4oz. puck, I expected it to perform very well. Unfortunately, I found the lather to be lackluster in almost every respect. I utilized various lathering techniques- Dry method, Marco method, soaking the puck, bowl, face, you name it...and I never got a nice dense lather from it. I also used a variety of brushes to see if that would make a difference (badger, boar, horse, synthetic). No matter how I lathered, the air bubbles stayed somewhat large, and it dissipated on my face rather quickly. The soap provides adequate slickness and protection; but I constantly had to reapply lather during my passes.

Elvado also released a video showing how the soap lathers. Even in their video, it is apparent that the lather is meant to stay on the fluffy side- which for me is a no-go. Here is a link to the video:

At this point, I wouldn't feel right selling or even giving this away to someone else- as the performance just isn't on par with what the vast majority of wet shavers consider to be ideal. Can you shave with it? Of course. Are there a myriad of other options that perform much better-while costing less? Absolutely. Because of this, I took the most ethical action I could, and disposed of the soap- save for the container. The container is very nice, and will be used to house my new puck of Stirling soap- which should arrive very shortly. The best thing about this shave set is that I got a very nice Vie Long brush- which I will gladly use!

My recommendation, I would not go out and purchase this soap. For all of the reasons I mentioned earlier, it's just not worth it. If you are given a puck for some reason- try it out. You may like it (ya know, YMMV and all). But as someone who has used a variety of quality soaps, Elvado does not live up to my expectations of what a quality soap should be.

crackstar, ps1160 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for writing the review! Great job!

3. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Thanks! I also want to note that Elvado offers other shaving products too (balms, cleansers, etc...). And for all I know, those could be fantastic products. I don't want to come off as bashing the company in any way. I love that there is another company offering traditional shaving products. My hope is that they would continue to test and improve their soap, so that one day they would have a killer product!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

To me, the Elvado Almond soap has the best scent of any almond scented soap/cream (take a deep breath, Cella lovers ;)). It is robust and smells fantastic and the scent carries over to the lather. However, I agree that the lather dissipates very quickly. I still sometimes use the soap, I just load the brush between passes and it works well for me. I like the scent too much to get rid of it. But the performance does not match up to the best artisan soaps.

rweb82 likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I've said this countless times - expensive doesn't necessarily mean top-quality. Look how cheap Arko is, for example.

ps1160 and rweb82 like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:happy096:
    Thanks for the nice review. :signs107:

rweb82 likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great, informative review. Thanks!

rweb82 likes this.