Ever think about selling your collection?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Zook, Dec 23, 2008.

1. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I've sold 1 razor in this "hobby" and I kinda still want it back. Won't make that mistake again.:D

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

In my quest for the perfect razor am starting to accumulate. My inner minimalist is becoming agitated...

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

You betcha. I'll be scaling my DE's down to 3-4 in total, no injectors, down to 2 brushes (1 Badger, 1 Boar PERHAPS acquire one of those sexy Muhle Faux Badger), and soaps and creams will get dropped down significantly as well. Straights and hones I'll keep getting, which is why I'm scaling down the safety razor stuff and going back to very basics.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Man, don't I know that feeling... it's almost as if a piece of my soul is gone, several times over. :happy097:

Slipperyjoe and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Ya Jody but at this point your sort of a razor archivist..so it's only natural you would keep your collection of masterworks fully intact...

6. IAmTheJody

Yes, but unfortunately it seems every now and then, money woes cause me to part with a piece that just tears open a piece of my soul. :happy102: I wish I had back my bottom-dial Fatboy and my ABC Empire, just to name a couple. But I needed a new TV and a new cell phone and some work done on the car... Things I didn't need when I bought the razors but that suddenly broke and found myself needing ASAP after I'd already bought the razors. ha!

7. Slipperyjoe

Life can sometimes get between us and our razors..just be thankful you're not a minimalist...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

You sold a "Bottom Dial Fatboy!!"?

9. IAmTheJody

Yes. As I said... had more important and pressing things to do that required the money.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have parted ways with my collection. I have 3 razors ( 2 DE and a SE) use the same brush just about every day.

I do have a enough blades and soaps to last me for a while though.

Aside from a knot to put in the awesome handle from Oscar11, I don't see myself spending anything on shaving for the next few years.

11. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I purchase around 6 to 8 razors per month but end up keeping only a few at most. I recently sold off 12 razors that I now people must think I was nuts to do, including all three types of R41's and two Rhodium NEWs.

I am not a collector, I only buy razors to shave with. If I buy a razor that shaves better the one in my rotation, I remove the one out. If after a while I see a razor is collecting dust, I get rid of it.

12. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

I am getting a rather large collection ;) I am a collector not really a user and enjoy cleaning them up to restore them to the beauty they deserve. I will be dwindling them down a bit since I have some that will not really fit into my collection. When I started collecting I picked up several that really will not fit into my plans for displaying them all. So, yes I will be selling off some of them

13. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Yes, actually I do. Reason being is that what I have at the current moment is what I think I want to use the rest of my life, so what I do is buy multiples of the same thing and display them proudly on top of my dresser for only me to see because no one else really cares (or thinks I'm very weird but I've been thought of that way my whole life so I'm used to it) . But then I change my mind and want something else so I have sold all the razors I've had only to start the whole process over again. Its like all my ducks have to be the same and lined up in a row.

I feel I may have some sort of obsessive-compulsive condition that has never been formally diagnosed that makes me this way. I have 3 shaving brushes, all the same, lined up together equidistantly from each other. If I buy aftershave, I buy 3-4 bottles of one kind, fashioned the same way as my brushes and razors. Same way with soap with mug/cream/foam etc... all the same or mostly so and each kind has to be by its own, but can be next to another kind if lined up properly. I recently started to use a Magic Shavette again, and have two uniformly positioned on my dresser as I write this. I'll probably buy a third one to placate myself.

So now my shavettes have replaced my four 1970's era Gillette Techs that are currently in my dresser that I now feel I have to sell, thinking now that my shavettes are the one for me. I must admit that although they do take a lot of time and patience to use they do yield a fantastic shave IMO. But then again this is my current mindset speaking. Funny thing is as I write this, and this response has become a LOT longer than was originally intended, is that whatever hobby you chose and how you attend and manage it can reveal to yourself and others a little bit about yourself. Not that it is a good or bad thing, mind you, but it is what simply is. Believe it or not I actually don't say that much in person nowadays.