Face lathering a shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alex7, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Does anyone use this method: squeeze some shave cream on the brush and then begin to lather on the face? Is it a correct way to lather? I'm having difficulties lathering from a soap and I don't use a bowl because it saves time.

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yep, that's how it works. You still need to add water too. You may want to get a bowl and use it to learn how to build a proper lather, then take that knowledge to face lathering. This is what I do with face lathering cream:

1. Soak the brush for a few minutes in hot water. Squeeze the water out of the brush, leaving it damp but not dripping.
    2. If it's from a tube, squeeze an almond sized glop into the brush. If from a jar/bowl dip the bristle tips in a couple of times to get the same amount as an almond sized dollop.
    3. Put hot water on my face.
    4. Start swirling the brush on the side of my face to get lather going, then start spreading it vigorously around my face. If it feels like it needs more water, I dip the tips in the water in the sink and continue lathering on my face.

To face lather soap I do all of that, except #2 would read:

2. Swirl and swipe the brush on the puck of soap so that the brush is fully saturated with soap.

Cheechako and clint64 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You also could put a couple of dots of cream on your face and swirl your damp brush over the cream on your face. Add water as needed.

SDK, Mr. Shaverman and clint64 like this.
  4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Your method is fine.

Saving time may be the reason soaps are not working for you. Soaps take some effort to get right but the rewards are great.

Bristle Me and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I squeeze out a dollop in my index finger and then smear it onto my face. Then, with my previously soaked brush squeezed out, I begin lightly brushing my face in swirls. Very soon lather begins to develop. It works with sticks too. I just rub the stick on my face and then brush. The lather builds in the brush so you have enough for two or three passes.

Bristle Me and SDK like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

This is exactly what I do with creams and sticks. All of the above will work.

If you get a good lather, you are doing it right...

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I don't often face lather, but when I do, I prefer to put the cream on my face, working it into a lather, rather than putting the cream in the brush. At any rate, you definitely need to soak the brush.

8. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

With straight razors and shavettes, it's been my experience that developing the lather on your face gives a superior shave than lathering in the cup. It's probably better with safety razors as well. I use shaving soap. Just soak your badger brush (much better than boar), shake off the excess moisture, then swirl it around on the cake of soap to get the tips covered with soap. Then, (you should have already soaked your face by now) swirl the brush on your face, trying to coat very individual hair with soap. The lather will build up quickly and soak into the hairs. Now, (this is important) wrap a hot, slightly damp towel around your face, go read the paper, watch TV or whatever you like to do to relax, for about 20 minutes. Then return to your shaving area, repeat the lathering process, and shave.

If you are careful, you can wet a towel, squeeze as much water as possible from it, and microwave it for 10-20 seconds to get a hot towel, but be careful. You can get them hot enough to scald you. I have a hot towel steamer (it is a Mi Aroma large slow cooker/roaster) that holds 20 or more rolled towels, I just fill the bottom compartment with water, load it with towels, and turn it on Med-Hi about 2 hours before I plan to shave (or sometimes, the night before). It steams the towels perfectly, just like a professional Barber Shop would.

Cheechako, Virodoc and Bristle Me like this.
  9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like the way you prep Gigmaster! :)

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm not too much on crèmes.
    But when I do use one, I just squirt out a dab on the tips of my fingers
    and smear it on my face. I start in with a damp brush, and add water as necessary.
    If what you doing now gives good results, then stay with it.

11. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

All I do is face lather with creams. I'm haven't got into the soaps yet due to space restrictions... Living in a fifth wheel RV has space limitations.

I just wet the brush under hoy water, put some cream on the brush, the start swirling on my cheeks. Depending on cream, I'll go back and add more cream or water as needed. One thing to note, some creams don't need near as much water as others. Add just a little at a time.

Virodoc likes this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Yep, like this.

13. Virodoc

Virodoc New Member

Exactly how I do it, works great for me!

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I usually put an amount (how much is up to you) on my palm and I load my brush from my palm. I dont know why, but I like to load the brush evenly.

But lately I have put some cream on my face and go from there =)

15. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

As long as it produces a good lather, any method is "correct", or, better said, there is no "correct" method. Whatever works better for you.
    About lathering with soap, you might wanna try to apply the same principle as loading the brush with shaving cream. Soak the brush, then remove most water for it. Then try to load as much soap as you can. You should not obtain lather at this point, but just soap in your brush. You should see the hairs clumping together. Once you have a good quantity, you start face lathering, the same you do with the cream. If the soap is too hard, you can leave it to soak in some warm water before doing this.
    If you have water in brush and maybe on soap too, you will start creating lather directly on the soap. But that's the trick, that lather you see all over the soap, it's actually not enough to shave with. Your point is still to load the brush with soap that will spread on your face afterwards.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

^^^ this is a great answer to this question. as long as it works for u there is no wrong answer. I made the mistake of using a tub of TOBS like a soap and had way too much loaded up because im used to soaps.

Omelmad likes this.
  17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Lol! @Gigmaster said Badgers are better than boar. :happy068: :happy097::happy102:

YMMDWV - You mileage most definitely will vary.

TheFiveO likes this.
  18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Did it take forever to get a lather? Or Did u start over?

19. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

For me, I'm mainly a cream/ face lather combo kinda' fella.
    I put the amount of cream I need directly on to a well soaked brush, but I open up the brush and put the cream inside. Then close the brush up around it. When you start face lathering you can do a lap of your face without any soap yet leaving the brush. But inside the magic is happening.

I haven't got a clue what started me doing things this way. But it seems to work fine.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Did it yesterday. Works perfectly. :wave: