Face lathering Stirling

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bleddybear, Jan 15, 2017.

1. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

Can you guys give me some tips on face lathering Stirling? Particularly in terms of keeping it hydrated throughout the shave to secure slickness? I've been using the Semogue 610 and the Simpson chubby 2. The protection is there but I can't get the slickness! Help! :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Personally, I either barely dip the tip of my brush between passes, or drip some water from my fingertips. I also really wet my face between passes.

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stirling takes a ton of water. The coolest thing about It is that it will tell you when it's ready. When light shines off of it, you are getting there. If you stop working it when it starts to look pillowy, it's not ready. Add water slowly and keep working. I turn my faucet on to a slow trickle and just flick the brush under it. Stirling has top notch shiny lather, so when it is about blinding in a bright light, you know you are ready.

Spyder, DesertTime, Halvor and 3 others like this.
  4. shadowfeind

shadowfeind Active Member

I use a badger brush El cheapo. I have stirling barbershop puck and it is so easy to lather. I soak my brush in warm water while I take a shower and then I take the brush out and knock out most of the water. You can grip the brush at the neck with thumb and index finger and kind of squeeze the water out gently. Then I take the soap and load the brush for 15 seconds and then start to face lather. I add some water by dipping the brush a bit till I get the nice creamy feel and then really work the soap ip your face. I get some of the best shaves with this soap and the alum is more or less quiet on the shave. I love stirling soaps, Rod is the man.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Lots and lots of water! Use lots of water when loading your brush. The trickle method mentioned by @PickledNorthern is a great tool. Make sure your face is wet before lathering. Dip the tips in the sink as you are lathering. Stirling can take TONS of water!

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Yeah Stirling does take a lot of water. Just as has been mentioned above, when it's shiny you know it's ready. It will glisten in the light when it's got enough water. Just make sure you load enough from the puck. About 10-15 seconds.

Spyder likes this.
  7. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

You got your solutions cut out for you above here. Just wanted to chime in and say that I believe that a silvery, shiny lather is something to aim for with all soaps. Not all are capable of equal glimmer as it were, but a shine is almost always indicative of getting to a proper saturation.

8. PickledNorthern

This. ^^^^^ And I have found that the ability to achieve and maintain that shine is the common factor in all the soaps that live in my den.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I add about a palm full of hot water to the top of the puck and shake out a soaking brush. I start building lather on top of the puck; when it starts getting creamy, I'll complete building lather on my face. As needed, I'll dip the tips of my brush in water, to keep the lather well hydrated. The result is so slick, I do the unthinkable, and touch up without re-lathering and just wet the touch up spots -- no irritation or razor-burn.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

this is good advice.....beef tallow soap threw me off a bit.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

how about occasional additions of hot water from a tablespoon or reg. spoon?(when not shaving)

12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

This, more soap AND more water. I tend to have better luck loading with a slightly drier brush.

Mike Brown, korbz and Matt0210 like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

With my top soaps (like Stirling), I try to use a synthetic brush. They just seem to get the right amount of soap when gathering and hold the right amount of water. Stirling actually sells really great synthetic brushes for dirt cheap that are perfect.

Boars never worked well for me on really good soaps. Now...on lower quality soaps that require more soap to be used, they are great.

DesertTime and dustmite like this.
  14. Paul Turner

I'm probably going to get one later.

15. PickledNorthern

Doesn't your Jayaruh brush have a Maggard Synthetic in it?

16. Paul Turner

well, maybe it does......guess I don't do my homework.

17. PickledNorthern

It is nearly the same as a Stirling brush would be. You likely could not tell a difference in feel. They do have different sizes and lofts, and handles.... And you don't have any hardware with their logo on it...

But you are all set for building lather.

Now when can we talk you into some different badgers? 'Cause they do feel different.

18. Paul Turner

Oh I don't know....my bathroom and den are not that big...I think I'm fine for now.