Face lathering -the Penny drops.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by dangermouse, Mar 21, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To get out that buried lather, try what I call the chin roll. Hold the brush parallel to the floor, press the base of the knot against your chin and roll the brush.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

You might have to do a video of that move...
    pics or it didn't happen Einstein.jpg

Karl G, Bama Samurai and ob1page like this.
  3. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Been splaying a bunch... And it was great, but it took a toll on my Simpson Bekerley. Now the middle of the knot is going kinda bald. Oh well, I guess time to buy a new one!

Karl G, dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that.

Karl G, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Epicurean

Epicurean Active Member

I think it does depend on the brush. Something that costs in the 3 digit range would probably have to be cared for more than something in the ten dollar range.
    Newer synthetics can take punishment, are cheap, and lather very well.

6. swarden43

I believe there is a price point where you're paying more for the handle (and or the name) than you are for the knot. Those brushes are beyond my pay grade. If given a 3 diget brush, then I could maybe see your point, depending on the handle.

7. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

I agree. I love my 15$ Stirling. And you only go so high on quality. Then it's handle and brand that keeps jacking up the prices

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

swarden43 likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Best answer, IMO.

I have face lathered for 35 years now, and I don't care about how I use the brush, as long as the lather is good. And in the long term (10 years or so), brushes are cheap, so no need to baby them.

Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  9. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

What brush is that? Love the handle

10. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

It's an Omega hi-brush, 64751. It cost me about £20. Mine is synthetic and they also do this colour, although I think the picture is of a hair brush, so perhaps they do different types of knot with the handle.

image.jpeg

11. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

How do you like the brush for face lathering?
    Does it have a good amount of backbone?

12. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Well, this is quite difficult to answer, as I only have one other brush to compare it with. Firstly, the loft on it is tall, so it is excellent for bowl lathering. Having said that, I usually only face lather these days and I do enjoy lathering with this brush. It brings up a lather very easily indeed. I use it every other day. The acrylic bristles feel incredibly soft on your skin. It has got some backbone, and this doesn't change when the bristles are wet. My boar hair brush absorbs the water and feels entirely different and softer when wet. The Omega is certainly not a floppy brush but it is a soft brush, possibly it's height adds to this feeling, if that makes sense. All I can say is that I really enjoy using it. Perhaps some of the others might be able to comment.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I also pump the brush up and down on my face lightly to get the soap that's in the knot up top.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I splay, slightly. It helps to add air into the soap, to make lather. I then paint the lather on. Life is too short to spend all day swirling the brush, on my face, just to make lather. Plus, brushes are cheap. I've used a Semogue 1305 for almost two years like this, and no signs of any damage to it.
    So, splay away.

dangermouse likes this.
  15. swarden43

True, life is short. And as busy and hectic life is, sometimes you gotta stop and swirl the brush!