Fast or slow

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Tattoobob, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Trouble getting bbs, I shave real slow should I go faster or get sharper blade . Use persona blue with EJ89

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don't chase the baby! The baby will come to you.

battle.munky and Chuck F like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Going slow is a sound plan at the start. Must be patient..one does not find the BBS..the BBS finds you when it is the time. Such is the way of things..:yoda

Tattoobob likes this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

:signs011:

If you try to grab BBS every single time you're just going to end up with razor burn or weepers/nicks. Just enjoy shaving for what it is.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All of the above.
    Speed has absolutely nothing to do with the end results (provided proper technique is used).

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Once you've settled on your choice of blade & razor, the BBS should come, and speed is not a factor.
    But as with most other things related to DE shaving, it's going to take some time to experiment and learn.
    If you are like most of us, your beard doesn't grow straight down N-S everywhere on your face and neck.
    So if you are going to achieve that highly prized BBS, you are going to have to try some different patterns in
    your shaving to find what cleans a particular area best.
    For instance, on my cheeks my hair doesn't grow straight down but rather grows diagonally from my ear towards my chin.
    My first pass here is straight down, which constitutes something of an ATG the pass you see. Then the second pass is from chin
    towards the ear, (not straight S-N which would be something of an XTG pass again) which is directly ATG for me. This works well
    and gets the job done nicely in just two passes.
    Now, the chin itself is different, and so is my neck. I shave these areas using patterns that I've discovered by trial and error and the
    pattern is nowhere near straight up and straight down.
    So, you certainly can get that elusive BBS shave. But it's going to take time and you're going to have to develop a strategy.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it's going!

Cheers! :eatdrink047:

BroonsBane likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Take your time and get a comfortable shave, as skill and technique improves, so will the shaves.

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Speed does matter, but in a negative way, especially if you are slinging around a razor blade. All razors are sharp, even though there are some out there that are sharper.10 minute shave

You can speed up after you get your technique down but by speeding up, I'm talking a 5 minute shave vs. a 10 minute shave, and it is mainly reduced by figuring out where to cut corners other than speed of the blade moving.

Keep slow and as others have said, don't chase the baby. Shoot for a damn fine shave and be prepared to accept that and the baby will start hanging around.

It's like petting a wolf, you don't just run up to it for a hug, you are going to have to share small pieces of jerky to get it to trust you before you can even pet it.

Troy M likes this.