Fat bottom bar handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Anyone here have any experience with these handles?
    The manufacturer will make some more available today and I rather like the look of them.

Prices;
    Brass: About 17-23 dollars
    Silver: About 32 dollars

Shipping: Free

Made in the US by solid brass.

Here is the brass colored one is with a NEW head on it:
    [​IMG]

The silver colored one:
    [​IMG]

and next to a Gillette NEW common bar handle:
    [​IMG]
    The Fat Bottom Bar Handle is 4" long compared to the 3" original Gillette bar handle.

Anyone have one or used one?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Rapidray, clint64 and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I like the handle for the most part. It is a scooch too long for me, and I strongly dislike the cone on top. It makes the thing look like a weird ink pen or mechanical pencil. But that may be because I have a weird industrial holder for Fisher refills, so that is where my mind goes... But the other parts I like a lot.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Don't have. Haven't used. How much do they weigh?

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I think it looks kind of like a Crayon. I prefer the flare of the Bar Handle.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just under 3oz/85gr

I think the look of the handle changes quite a bit when there's a head mounted on it.

6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My question too. I'm not crazy about the looks, but it's not terrible either, so if the feel was right, I could see it being a pretty good value.

7. Mr. Droid

You know, I think you nailed it! With the cone tip, the strips through the knurling and the plain bottom cap, it really does have the exact configuration of a crayon. Maybe that is why I automatically thought 'writing instrument'. It being a metal crayon actually makes me like it a bit more!

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

And at 85 grams of brass you could use it as a weapon :)

9. Mr. Droid

It looks to be one piece. If it is solid brass, that thing is going to have some heft.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They are being sold here as a Buy It Now.
    He seems to be pretty willing to accept around $18 or so for the handle - w/ free shipping - and put up 10 of the non-silver plated brass handles.

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Methinks it is too long and it needs a flared collar like the original handle.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. grump

grump Well-Known Member

No experience with that but I wonder if the knurling could be made a little deeper.

13. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

:happy093:This thread you started has me smiling all over...I won a auction from him. I have the handle AND a Gillette OC with a split handle coming in from him in the next couple of days. Because the handle was split he threw in his handle. I was going to flat out Buy it Now, on the handle, but when I saw the other, I thought I would take a chance. I worked out really well. ;)

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looks nice!

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like the idea a lot but would prefer if it was basically the NEW made bigger, identical knurling and all. The flared neck of the original is nicer, too. Somehow the conical neck just doesn't work for me. JMO

Troy M likes this.
  16. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Member

On B&B there was a guy who made a replacement handle from a brass centre punch from Harbour Freight .He remove the pin and used a 10 32 tap and made an identical handle to this one . Cost $3.19 plus his time ,he has included pics , the punch screws apart and weighed 52.6 g . Just a thought

Glenn

Lexicon Devil and Jayaruh like this.
  17. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

For a solid Brass handle, that is a very good price. Personally, I don't find them aesthetically appealing.

18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just did the same. Got a punch for $2.99 plus tax. I had to drill it out a bit before it took the 10-32 tap, but the results are great.
    punch_handle06.jpg
    punch_handle07.jpg

Darkbulb and clint64 like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Love it.

Jayaruh likes this.