Fatboy Gap Issue - Assistance Wanted

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weishi Warrior, May 16, 2013.

1. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I received a Gillette Fatboy from a friend (Thanks Danny), that has a gap problem. The blade gap is greater on one side of the razor, effectively rendering this a Fatboy Slant Razor. I tried to use it, but found it very uncomfortable in my lower neck. Does anyone know how this can be fixed or where I can seek help?

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Is the door or safety bar bent?

I have fixed the problem on one of mine. A picture to see what is wrong would help to see what is bent.

3. Weishi Warrior

I think it is the door mechanism because it is slanted exactly the same on both sides of the razor. I hope this can be fixed.

4. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Just grip the handle of the razor and gently push up with your thumb on the bent side. Don't try to bend it back all at once!

5. Weishi Warrior

I will give it a try tonight when I get home. Thank you Weeper!

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If it's the safety bars (or entire baseplate), I fixed a Slim with that problem using a couple brass punches and a hammer. You just have to see where the bend is and remove it with a judicious use of some well placed force.

7. Novacula

Novacula Member

What year is this Fat Boy?

If it is from the earlier years, you can remove the silo doors and the bottom retaining cap / spring using a modified binder clip which would enable you to pull the main fork-like, " T " shaped apparatus out of the top of the razor just enough to safely correct any bending. If there is an angle issue with that "T"-shaped piece, you could easily grasp it and gently straighten it out. This solution may sound scary but you're really not disassembling anything that is too complex - you are just loosening a few pieces. The risk versus reward ratio is massively in your favor.

For the sake of clarity, this will only help you if the problem is within the " T "-shaped bar. If you have issues with the blade deck, I have never had this problem so I don't know how you might go about fixing it.

If your razor does not have the notches in the bottom retaining cap, you may be out of luck as well.

Those are my $.02! Just be careful not to break or lose anything!