fatboy owners....what is you blade and setting combo?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sean102385, Sep 28, 2014.

1. sean102385

sean102385 Member

Just wondering what settings people use for there fatboys with different blades.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I leave mine on 7
    slim, super adjustable too.
    any blade I use, always 7

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

When using an adjustable I usually dial up to 9 with a Red and 8 with a Lab for cleaning up my neck. I suggest you start around 3-4 and work your way up.

4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

YMMV really works in this situation. For instance if I cranked one of my Adjustables to 9 with any blade, I wouldn't have a face anymore. I started on 3 with a few different blades and worked up to 6 with a Feather for awhile and now I'm at 5 with a Feather. This works for me with my FB, Slim, Black Beauty,and even my just acquired toggle. I was surprised with the toggle because it adjusts the blade gap only. If I go lower I get a smooth shave but a lot of burn. If I go higher it gets too rough on my face. I like the Feathers so much I just picked up 100.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Herm2502 likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

most guys designate their settings in parenthesis on the shave of the day posts.
    you can check out, what was used, settings, blade use, and results.
    it's fun, let us know how you did

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I've used my FB, but as I remember it, after trying all the settings at least once, I settled on 5 I believe..:)

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Three passes all set at 6, regardless of the blade.

8. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

I am usually a 7 with my 1959 FB ...as for blades I like the Astra Superior Premium Platinum

9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I prefer to use the Astra SP for the blades. If I want a mild shave the Fat Boy is set on 3. If I want a more efficient shave the Fat Boy is set between 7 and 9.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    fat_boy_e2_06.JPG
    Mine is set on 6. It likes Shark Super Chrome, but I use others too with no problem.

Spud and ObiDon like this.
  11. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I started with a 3&4 setting, but once I got more confident with my technique and using a light touch, I now have it cranked up to 7. I have had pretty good results regardless of blade choice.

12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I usually use 7 for the first WTG pass. Then finish up on 4 for XTG and ATG passes. Along with Astra SP's it's always smooth shaving!

ObiDon likes this.
  13. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

There is a fairly easy way to get close to what you are used to in terms of blade gap, which is what you adjust when you adjust a fat boy or slim. Take a look here and see if you can find your normal razor listed. Then, set your fat boy to the setting that is the closest match.

14. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

VERY COOL Info. Thanks Mark :signs001:

markjnewcomb likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Thanks dude , even though it was not for me.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  16. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I experimented a little a few months ago running it wide open but settled on 7, no matter what blade I'm using. I use the same setting on my slim.

Spud likes this.
  17. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Any blade, it is always set at 9. My Slim, and Super Adjustable are set at 9 as well.

18. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

That's an interesting chart, but not of much practical use. There is a great deal more that goes into aggression than just the blade gap. For instance, according to this chart, the Lord L6 is a monster, more aggressive that a Red Tip Superspeed! In reality, it is just slightly more aggressive than a Gillette Tech - renowned as a mild and gentle shaver. YMMV.

19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I think the chart is very useful when talking about blade gap. No, it is not at all useful at all when talking about aggressiveness. I didn't mean to imply anything about aggressiveness.

BigMark likes this.
  20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Thanks for the chart. I agree it is a good chart to get a reference point with different razors, and to see the potential advantage of an adjustable. One thing to mention is that the FB, Slim, and Black Beauty, change the gap and the blade angle. There are a few exceptions like the toggle that only adjusts the gap. Where did you find the chart?