Favorite Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Baron, Feb 18, 2007.

?

What's Your Fave?

1. Feather

31 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. IP

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Derby

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Merkur

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Swedish Gillette

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wilkinson

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other (tell us!)

55 vote(s)
    43.3%
  8. Blade? What Blade?

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Lynchmeister

Lynchmeister New Member

Out of the blades I have tried so far (Derby, US Personna, Merkur), my favorite is the Derby. I can only get 3 shaves out of one though...and the third shave is usually sketchy, so I've been going with two lately. Sometime soon I would like to try an IP and Swedish Gillette though, since I feel like I'm missing out on something good.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

YEP....
    me too.
    #3S is the max for a Derb. IMO
    But they're sooo cheap, who needs to worry about it ??
    I also agree aboot the HARSHNESS of the Feathers. The 1st shave is absolutely brutal for me.....wont be buying anymore.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have to agree. Different blades for different razors.

4. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

Other:

1. Feather in the Slant or HD.

2. Derby in the FatBoy or Slim Adj.

3. Israeli in the VISION.

Tried the Swedes and was not to impressed with them. The Merkurs were only used until the Israelis showed up-I think I still have the full pack that came with the VISION.

Marty

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

I voted Feather for the rare DE use, otherwise it's straights :D

6. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Derby, then IP

7. DMS

DMS New Member

I had to vote for the Derby, they're just right for me. I was surprised at how much variation in feel/performance there is between the different brands.

I only tried a Feather once, in a Superspeed. It felt like it had a strong tendency toward harsh, but did shave very well as long as I barely let it touch me.

8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

A bit early to declare a favorite. I really like the Feathers, but just tried Sharps and they seem the equal of Feathers at half the price. Still have to try the 7 am blade next week.

9. Stubble

Stubble Member

Really like the Feathers, they seem to be the only blade that doesn't drag for me. I haven't noticed any harshness with them, but then I try especially hard to keep a light touch.

Interesting comment that the Sharps are very close to the Feathers, I haven't heard this before. Where can I get some of the Sharps, I'm just not that familiar with them.......................and thanks for the comment on the Sharps.

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Crystal DE blades as indicated by my avatar. These are my $ store find. They come from ASRCO and are made in Israel, have the same patent # and blue wrapper as the IP's. They also have the same markings, Platinum +, they do not say "Made in Israel" on the blade but are packaged with a card that indicates this. I am just lucky enough to find them locally.

11. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Now that's an interesting find! I am very fond of the Israeli Personna's. They are not the sharpest blade, but they give me the most irritation free shave of any blade I've tried [including Feathers, Merkurs and Derbys].

Were these in a Dollar General store or some local dollar store? We have loads of Dollar General stores here in Tennessee, along with some Family Dollar stores.

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ron,
    The store is called "$1 and More". I know there are a few in FL but I don't know about the rest of the US.

13. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Tesco blades when I can get them, otherwise Swedish Gillette.
    Of course there isn't a DE blade out there that is the equal of my TI Pierre Thiers straight.
    Regards,
    Alex

14. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I had to choose "Other" because I haven't settled on a favorite yet.

15. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I use the Gillettes they sell in Eckerds. Dont know if they are the Swedish or not. They give me the best shave second to IP's. The main reason I use them is because they are easy to get and are relatively cheap (.80 cents a blade). I could get other blades cheaper, but I figure that is cheaper than M3 blades, so I'm still saving money. Being in college, I move around a lot, so I dont really want to get a 100 pack of any type of blade.

16. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

My favorites...

1. Feather
    2. Super Platinum
    3. Derby

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sharps, or 7am's for me, thank you! :D

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Changed my mind on the Feathers.
    Still brutal on the #1S but I am liking them a lot in my SuperSpeed.
    Add: No to the Futur / Feather combo. Bad shave, again.

19. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Swedes are my fave. The mighty Feather coming in a close second. And the blade that does no wrong in my books, the IP/Crystal a respectable third place. In fact, in my old (1900?) open comb Gillette, the IP gives me a beautiful shave with little irritation. I'm actually scared to try a sharper blade in that razor. :eek:

20. Steve

Steve New Member

I vote for Merkur.