Feather as d2

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razorhound, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Just looking at Feather as-d2 on ebay and was musing about why the seller is always asking for $160 to $200 when you can buy it on Amazon all day for $142 or so. Am I missing something? Is there some difference in the feather razors that I am missing or are they just trolling for rubes?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's a reason I don't shop ebay.

Nathan Boo and Razorhound like this.
  3. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Was the AS-D2 stand included as part of the package? If so that's a pretty good deal. My guess, though, is that it's priced that way primarily for those who live in countries that don't have access to Amazon.

Razorhound likes this.
  4. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

I went back and looked on ebay and no razor stand but out of country access could be the case at $160 and free shipping. Conversely though I looked back on Amazon for Feather with stand and they have a "great deal" for $248 prime as opposed to $142 without stand. That must be one nice stand at $106. I bought stands that look similar to those on Amazon for between $5 and $8 depending on manufacturer. That ebay $160 was low end, other razor no stand opportunities can run well over $200. Mind boggling.

5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Razorhound if you want to save more money than buying a Feather AS D2 razor, just get yourself a Gillette Ball Tech because they shave exactly the same as a Feather AS D2 razor ;)

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011: If you want, just get another handle for it to make it a bit heavier. Plus it'll look good. Just gotta compare prices, sometimes Amazon is lower, and sometimes Ebay is lower. It just depends on the seller.

Razorhound likes this.
  7. John3246

John3246 New Member

Personally, I think any Gillette Tech will shave better than a Feather AS D2. I have many different techs and love the shaves I get from them.
    I got a Feather from a fellow shaver and could not get along with it for some reason. I gave the Feather to my brother and he thinks it is a "gift from the shaving gods."
    As usual, YMMV!

Razorhound likes this.
  8. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Thank you speedy. That is good to know because I do have a fat handle and a ball end Tech and like the shave. Always curious about the Feather, Mergress and One Blade Genesis high dollar razors. Common sense would seem to tell you that other than mitigating factors such as blade gap that a competently made razor matched with a quality blade should provide a good shave price be damned. Not that common sense keeps me from wanting a Feather or Mergress if the price was right.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The Feather AS-D2 is one of the finest 3-piece razors available. Excellent craftsmanship, superlative shave. If you find a good price on one, you will not be disappointed. FAR better, imo, than the Mergress/Progress. (I do own a Progress, so it is with informed knowledge that I comment). :)

Vlasta, Razorhound and CliffDweller like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

The Feather ASD2 and the Mergress and the Futur are all superb razors and I enjoy them immensely. I also enjoy my Feather Popular, Weishi 9306, RR Old Type, Ming Shi 2000s and my RR Tech2 (AkA Baili).

Razorhound likes this.
  11. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Well being that I have a couple of Tech's and I am wary about the "low" price of $142 on Amazon(might be a clone,what do I know) I decided to stall at the moment on the Feather and ordered a "classic" handle from Weber ($30) and will entertain myself for now with seeing how the handle may mitigate the shave experience with the Tech. Not that there is a problem now. Alas....the financial burden of a curious mind. And no doubt after this I still wont be able to resist the temptation of trying the Feather.:shocked029:

So what began as a sound strategy to save my self $112 will now no doubt end up in an expenditure of $172. Should'a just bought the damn Feather! Such is the nature of addiction and the flawed rationalization that accompanies it.:sad038:

12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Keep watch BST on several shaving sites and another will show up. I used my Feather ASD2 today and day before yesterday a fat handle post war Tech. Both shaves with the same make of blade. Honestly I can't say there is much difference between the two with maybe, just maybe, a slight efficiency edge going to the Feather. I'll try an older Tech tomorrow and see how things go. Then maybe an aluminum Tech and a Pot Metal Tech and a Ball End Tech and a Gold Plated Tech and ...

There are so many wonderful versions of the Gillette Tech you could have a different version every day of the week.

And then there are the Tech clones ...

Razorhound likes this.