Feather Blades?????????????????`

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FanofAceVentura, Oct 16, 2014.

1. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All blades are sharp, that's why we buy 'em. Will they work for you? The only way to know is to try them and ask your face.

3. FanofAceVentura

Haha Thanks I just might order them

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dunno, but I believe you've used your allotment of question marks for the year. ;)

Feathers, as other DE blades, are sharp. Are they sharper? I've not compared them under a microscope, but they do feel sharper—meaning the edge feels keener on the skin. Some dislike them for that very reason (too harsh). They are more expensive, and don't last as long as other blades. People who have THICK barbed wire whiskers seem to prefer them. I like them, but I also have a light growth beard—and they gave me two-pass very close shaves.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I test drove Feather Hi-Stainless...I agree with HolyRollah, my beard is not thick enough to warrant them...they are actually too sharp for my needs. I have had really great luck with Gillette Silver Blue. They treat me right at half the cost of Feather. I am not knocking Feather, it's just not right for my technique/experience/skill set.

For me, blade coating matters...when you try blades, make note of the coating. I bet you will see a trend in your preference that way. I like PTFE (Teflon) coated blades for the smooth glide. Platinum, chrome, iridium, stainless, are other common coatings you will come across.

A TSD blade sampler might be a lot of fun!

FanofAceVentura likes this.
  6. FanofAceVentura

Hmmmm i do 3 passes and i still have stubble and its with across and against this might just work :)

7. FanofAceVentura

And I will look into the coatings and see whats up with that :)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They might, or they'll leave your face red & raw…
    As Steve said in the first post response, only your face knows for sure….

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Also, if you are having to do multiple passes, your razor head itself may be to mild for your needs...razor matters.

10. Sgt.Beardface

Sgt.Beardface Member

Feathers are awesome blades in the right razor. They are all I will use in the Feather razor. Could be the combo or something but it seems to tame the blades a ton. Tried them when I first started in a 34C and the scene was just bloody and messy. Now they are the only blade I'll touch.

11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

When I first started this adventure I went through every thread I could find and the comparisons and charts. I ordered some blades and even ordered some Feathers. I tried some with my first DE razor, a Murker 34c HD which is considered a mild razor. I'm blond and have a light beard, and could go 2 days before anyone but me would notice. I use a light touch and let the razor do the work, which is why I think the Feather works so well for me. With this technique the blade only lasts me for 2 shaves. I only get some burn if I use too much pressure, with a light razor like my Tech. I ordered 100 from Amazon back in August, and that is the only blade I will use. YMMV

12. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I tried one in a Fat Handle Tech. Normally, I use a Cadet OC with an Astra SP. usually the FHT is too mild, but the Feather really made it shine and kicked it up a few notches. With a 3-pass shave, I had very little irritation, just as my other combo does, but it seems like it took off more skin and made me bleed more. It really leveled all the existing pimples/razor bumps/imperfections on my face( not necessarily a good thing, probably a really bad thing) and lived up to the hype for me. However, 3 days afterwards and in between shaves, and my face is in better shape.

I wouldn't use it on a normal basis, and it isn't right for me even in a mild razor, BUT, it did live up to the hype.

Spud and FanofAceVentura like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Aside from the specific razors mentioned above, this is nearly identical to my experience.

14. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

The only blades I use. I ordered 50 and I'm down to about 15. Time to re up.

I've tried Derby and I don't like them.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband & I both find that they give a closer shave than anything else. But as this is so individual, I recommend you try for yourself, but just buy a small quantity, the first time out.

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sarah, all I ever had from the Feathers was big time trouble. The last time I used one, I cut myself terribly in three places. Those blades are a big no-no for me. :(

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

...Which is why is is a good idea to only buy ANY new blade is small quantity.

Slow Joe likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The closet feel I get to a straight razor shave using a double-edge razor is using a Feather blade in my Mühle R41 (2011 version, not the newer one).
    Not really relevant to this discussion, I suppose, but it does illustrate the keenness of the feather edge.

Shotwell likes this.
  19. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Feather and Derbies are on the opposite side of the "sharpness" spectrum. I love Astra SPs for the same price as Derbies per 100 ct. You get 2-4 shaves out of 'em with medium-high echelon level sharpness and smoothness and they work in every razor for me.

Tdmsu and theFAT98 like this.
  20. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I'm going to echo the statement that Feathers are loved of guys with a tough, wirey whisker. Depending on the razor, my favorite blades are either Feather or Polsilver Super Iridiums. They just work best, and each will give me 4 shaves. A decent third place is held by the Astra SP, which isn't quite as sharp but is very smooth - probably the best loved blade out there. But, and it is a very big but, they seem to be made of inferior steel, and only last 2 shaves.

As always, YMMV. Don't be afraid of Feathers, but recognize that if you don't have a tough wirey beard they may just be overkill, and unduly irritate your face.

Tdmsu and 178-bplatoon like this.