Feather blades

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Sharpness = the best in the business

Longevity, last me a week YMMV

Skin-Friendly, if I am in a rush I do not dare use them at all.

Quality, and price are an absolute 10.

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    They're a decent blade. Don't let all the scary hype turn you away from these.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    These are the only blades other than SHARPs that I will use.

Everything else always hurts me. :(

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Absolutely the SHARPEST blade I have tried.
    In the right razor the Feather can give a very good shave.
    However....
    this blade is unforgiving and the 1st shave is almost always brutal and bloody (for me, at least).
    Shaves 2-5 are very good.
    High quality and can be had at reasonable prices.
    Try one in a lightweight razor like a SuperSpeed and see how you like them.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

These are absolutely THE sharpest. I have only recently started to use them.....so a little bit of experience...has resulted in no blood loss. As far as longevity goes.....I never use a blade beyond 4 shaves....so it does what I need. They are not availavle locally in the UK....but I can get these cheaper than my local supermarket blade prices. A top quality blade ...which pairs off with the top end more agressive razors perfectly!

Brian

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ohhhhhh, careful.....

These blades can literally slit a man's throat! Sharpness-wise, these really are the sharpest blades one can find. Quality-wise, these blades are excellent, but I had a couple of horrific cuts that left me suffering a lot of discomfort. Yet, in the right hands and razor, yes, these blades can and will work wonders.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

The sharpest blade I've found so far but the most unforgiving. I love them in a Merkur HD but seek another blade when using the Futur. Too risky. Tough to say on longevity since blades get recycled after three days no matter which brand. Definitely not skin friendly in the wrong hands or razor. No problems on quality so far and price is reasonable in lots of 100.

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Definately not to be wielded by the untrained hand. Very sharp blade produces great shave every time. A little aggressive for those with sensitive skin. For those that method shave with Hydrolast, these are the standard. They really excell with the extremely slick Hydrolast wet mix.

As for longevity, my beard texture eats blades pretty quickly, but that varies from person to person. I usually change mine ever 2 or 3 shaves. These definately have a positive reputation for long lasting blades for others.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Keep going back to this blade

I use the following double edged blades:

7am Platinum Double Edged Razor Blades
    Derby Double Edged Razor Blades
    Feather High Stainless Platinum Double Edged Razor Blades
    Gillette Swedish Gillette Double Edged Razor Blades
    Merkur Double Edged Razor Blades
    Persona Super + Double Edged Razor Blades
    Sharp Stainless Double Edged Razor Blades

I have to say every time I use a blade other than a feather, I go hunting for a feather the next time I switch out blades. These get used more than anything I have and I find that if you are gentle you can get a really nice shave every time. These blades are part of my GOTO set up. It's kind of like my cutlery, I like them sharp! They may not be as forgiving a blade but then it just gives me incentive to improve my technique. I buy them in 20 pack lots. I have not found a bad blade yet so quality has not been an issue.

10. crackstar

The Feathers are the only blade I ever used that left me gagging and sweating cold. They did give me excellent shaves, but terrible cuts every time.

Jeff

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Ya can't go wrong with a Feather ::

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Great blade!

I started off with Feather blades- and only heard of their reputation as the "sharpest and meanest" months later. They're great when used with a mild shaver. It is very easy to nick yourself with these blades, though.

13. magic

magic New Member

Probably the sharpest DE blade out there. Close seconds are Polsilver,Dorco st-301,WS(German made)

14. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Best blade on the market!

These are the best blades on the market. They do not deserve their reputation. I must admit that one must have some skill to wield them. They cut with almost no effort so only the slightest pressure is required for shaving.
    I use these both in my DE and in my Feather Artist Club.

15. KenS

KenS New Member

One of my favorite combos is that of Feather and Slant. I have been using str8's more lately, but will still use the Feather / Slant when going out for the evening and wanting a super slick shave. The only real problem is that if I use them too often my skin will suffer from thinning, and start weeping...
    For regular daily use I would stick to Derby Extra's.
    Ken

16. sanpaku

sanpaku New Member

the holy grail of de blades?

i'm not sure what more could be added to this thread, but i'll chuck my two cents in nonetheless...

after 20 years of shaving with inferior blades, i stepped up and checked out a pack of these from our friend giovanni @ razor and brush (who, hopefully, has his own rave thread around here).

i shave in the shower with a '62 gilette super speed adjustable. for the past month or so, i thought i had achieved blade nirvana with the highly regarded derby blade. i've no real kicks against that blade, however i do find that they tend to give an ever so slight tug on the area on either side of my adam's apple. nothing i can't shave around, but i'd prefer not to have to compensate for blade quality by altering my technique too radically.

enter feather. i knew from the seemingly overwhelming consensus that the sharpness of this blade demands absolute respect, so i approached my first shave with the prep and care of a surgical procedure (which, after all, every shave should be approached with). i was rewarded with arguably the finest shave of my life. 0.00% tugging, skipping, or any sort or irritation from the blade. it's not an overstatement in any way to say you can easily mistake the razor to have no blade in it. the already high quality and virtually irritation-free shave from the derby was taken several notches higher on the shaving scale.

as has been said throughout almost every post concerning these blades, they are without a doubt sharp enough to do serious serious damage if used improperly with bad technique. shave very very slowly, getting to know how these work in your particular razor before becoming confident. that patience will reward you, like me, with the finest shave of your life.

i've read more than once that others feel that the feather takes more skin with it than other blades. i'm not so sure that's true. even if it is, the most critical point would be that it takes what it takes it so cleanly and effortlessly that it should only be a short matter of time before ones shaving area conditions itself. i have sensitive skin and it has responded superbly. so if you're reading this review and you have sensitive skin (as well as a carefully developed technique), i would wholeheartedly recommend this blade as the path it traces across your beard is, in every way, like that of a feather.

17. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Simply Amazing!

As a newbie, I have been training to use the feather with the merkur slant.

Started with the merkur blade then progressed to the derby and 7am.

Since I was concerned with the sharpness decided to super lather with the musgo (imo a better lather and skin feel than proraso) and ems soap.

The sound from the blade is different and the quality and sharpness is a definite notch above other blades. Requires less passes and cuts facial hairs closer than other blades. For some reason my skin actually felt softer and cleaner with the 7am blades. Able to also try different angles.

Newbies respect the blade by lathering properly. Do not be scared or intimated.

18. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

I was travelling last week and used my new Feather Portable razor for the first time with some trepidation, as I only had the much-afeared Feather blades that shipped with it. But I took my time and the result was excellent.

I have since used the same Feather blade in both my Merkur Progress and HD (with a quick hand strop when swapping). My third shave with this one, in my HD, has been one of my closest and most comfortable to date.

These Feathers are deserving of their fearsome reputation for sharpness (I know this from the unforgiving experience I had of one when I first began DE shaving), but if you've got your technique down pat, it's a blade you should definitely be trying.

19. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Feathers are my go to blade in my slant. They are sharp and give me a near BBS shave everytime. I have tried several other blades from Swedes, Astras, Dorco, 7 oclocks and nothing gives me the quality of shave like a feather. I wouldn't recommend these to a new wet shavers but once you have your technique down you owe it yourself to try them. The only downfall is the price, they are expensive.

20. crackstar

expensive, and too aggressive.