Feather blades

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Feathers and isreali personna's are the only blades I will use. Feathers provide a bbs shave everytime and very rarely will I get a nick or shave. For me no other blade comes close to providing the shave a feather does. I was very trepid to try these the first time due to all the hoopla about how sharp they were but was surpised at how well it outperformed every other blade I have tried.

Other than the price I have no complaints about these blades. I would recommend anyone who hasnt tried them to give them a shot.

2. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Nothing really left to say except to say Feather's are the true proving ground to see if you got your shave technique down right, if you don't this blade will let you know right quick. I learned right away with these blades that "no pressure" truly meant no pressure for someone with heavy hands like me.

Today, I get an absolute bbs nick free shave every single time with these blades, and I don't ever plan on taking this blade out of the top spot in my arsenal.

Sadly, like anything well made, their pricey, albeit I can go 4 solid shaves with one blade all bbs, and no complaints on those shaves.

cheers
    D

3. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

I gave a 10 pk to my barber today.

4. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

İ am Using Feather blades and 1 blades enough me 1 week ...My Number One...

Regards!

5. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

They are the best blades I have ever tried.
    Nothing comes close to it.

6. I rarely use any other blade.

Feathers are fantastic. True, they're more expensive than most other blades on the market, but they last longer and you have to expect to pay a premium for quality.

Some folks complain that they're too sharp, and still others have conceded to "corking" their Feather blades - heresy! - but as for me, its simply been a matter of finding the right razor and using the right technique. The reward? A BBS every time.

Feather makes a great product in their DE blades, and I also use a Feather AC DX straight. Feather blades are at the peak of top of the line.

7. 11oss

11oss Member

Quite new to DE shaving so was weary to try these.

Other blades I had used were dragging My idea was try these as they are reputedly sharper.

It seems that was the answer using these there is no drag they just cut. No irritation. These are the only blades I use now.

I don't understand the fear people have about cutting themselves with these because they are sharper, surley any blade is sharp enough to cut you so just be careful.

my only critisism is that they only last around 3 shavs before the edge seems to dull but thats not much different to other blades I have used either.

Well worth trying.

8. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Its sharp and talks to you about your technique...

Sharpness - undisputed leader. To me the Indian Gillette Super Platinum 7 O'Clocl blacks come second

Longetivity : Lasted me for 4 shaves comfortably and allowed me a 5th shave too

Skin-Friendly : you have to be very focussed, get slack and razor burn stays through the day.

Price : I get them cheap in India. Its shamelessly low, don't dare share :)

These blades are the definition of sharpness and unless you go to SE shaving, this will be the sharpest object you will consciously put to your face. period

You have to be very alert on the technique and the angle. A little slackness in the technique or the angle, it will instantly teach u where you went wrong. On Day 1, I had terrific razor burn under the chin just because i was off guard for a fraction of a second. IT stayed thru the day...

If my technique gets any better with time, definitely will be my go - to blades.

9. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Feathers are my go to blades. I like a few others (7 O'clock black), but always come back to these. Wish the price was better (half a buck a blade is steep), but they do me right.

Consistent quality is a big deal. Feathers are very consistent. I almost never throw one out. I get three shaves out of them, but can push a fourth.

The only thing that works better is a nice, sharp straight.

10. DSB

DSB New Member

I'm going to say something very unpopular: I hate feather blades. No, it's not my technique. No, it's not my lather. I have been wetshaving for a year, and there are plenty of blades that I love. Gillette 7 o'clocks (yellow), Derby, IPs, Crystals, Kai, I like them all. I have honed my technique, and frequently get an irritation-free BBS from other blades.

For some reason, though, my skin and feathers do not get along. Every shave I have tried with a feather has been a bloodbath. Maybe they're too sharp for me. I almost never cut myself with other blades. On the other hand, I have gotten at least one weeper with every feather shave. Cut me once, shame on you. Cut me every time we meet, shame on me.

11. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I am coming back to state after several blades that this is "THE" blade for me in my Vintage Gillettes. I am currently on my 6th shave in my fatboy and this is by far the most fantastic razor-blade combo in my shave den. Very sharp, smooth and does not even scratch my skin a bit. Yes it does nick, if I get careless, but thats the same with the dullest blade out there. The blade leaves my face with zero irritation.
    Razor settings
    1-3 shaves - 3
    4-6 shaves - 4
    6+ - a 5

and am also hand stopping to see how it helps the life of the blade.

Fortunately I have a cheap "secret" source in India and have bought over 300 blades for stocking up.

12. lab1dobie

lab1dobie Member

These were the last blades in my sampler pack and they were the best for last!! I guess I got my technique down and had absolutely no problems with cuts, weepers or any of the other horror stories I've read about. They last about 6 - 7 shaves and when they start to drag, they get replaced. I also use Wilkinsons and Derbys. The Feather will be my go-to blade for sure!:D

13. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Very good sharp blades.

I tried other blades before but those are the ones that gave me the best shaves.
    Yes they are sharp and you can cut yourself whit them, but once you handle
    your technique you shouldn't be afraid of them
    They give irritation free shaves.
    Personally i never use them more than 3 shaves cus they tend to get dull fast.

14. DMB

DMB New Member

A newbie meets the Feather.......

I tried the Feather blade after I felt a little more comfortable holding and guiding my Merkur 38C......which is only about 9 days now. I was a bit hesitant to try this blade so soon as a "rookie" wet shaver......but after about 5 shaves using a Derby.....and always nicking my chin.......I decided to give it a shot. I was a bit nervous after reading all the hype......but I have to say I got the most phenominal shave of my entire life......as inexperienced as I am. I was amazed how smooth my face was......and I have a fairly course beard. I still want to sample some more brands......but so far the Feathers are absolutely incredable in my opinion......and I admit I have a lot to learn before realizing what the best might be. Just want to say thanks to all you "gents" for all the great advice for a novice wet shaver like me!!

15. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

These blades were great until I got to my third ATG pass. No bueno.

16. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Nice and Smooth

I love Feather blades! They are nice and sharp, nothing of mine comes close to the sharpness of these (except maybe my GEM PTFE SE blades). They don't last too long, I wouldn't want to shave with them for more than 3 (3pass) shaves, it just gets too rough for me. Normally I get about 3-4 shaves per blade, so only going for 3 quality shaves is alright in my books. These are the best blades for my skin. They just glide right over, without causing irritation or cuts (except when I'm not paying attention). Their quality is top notch! Like I said, nothing really comes close to them. I rated the price a 0 because I have never bought a pack of these and there isn't a N/A selection to rate at.

I use them fairly infrequently, but do use them for special nights. When my current stash of blades dwindles, I will be looking into investing in these blades.

17. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

The Samuri of blades

First off, I can't believe I haven't reviewed these blades yet. I have using them for about a year now, after I got the nerve to try them after reading all the hype. My fifth shave is a smooth as the first. I don't believe a blade could get any sharper unless they can make a laser for a blade or maybe a plasma cutter. I do agree that the Feather is a very UNforgiving blade. You MUST be on your game each time you use them. I usually don't shave at all, unless my mind is into the act of shaving. Many have stated that these blades are harsh as far as skin friendly goes. Perhaps its one of those YMMV moments. I'm happy that they fit nicely in my routine. Their price is a bit more than most other blades, but even at a .25 per blade, it's still miles cheaper than cartridge replacements. I can get 6-7 shaves with a 4 pass shave before the blade begins to feel uncomfortable. Definitely, my go to blade.

18. brucea

brucea New Member

Feather blades are amazing. My face feels the smoothest it ever has after a shave. I am relatively new to DE shaving but I can't imagine a better shave. So far I have used Gillette ,Derby and Feather. I have a sample set from West Coast Shaving that I haven't even sampled fully yet but I can't imagine better than the feather at this point. I get the feeling there is no better blade. Time will tell.