Feather Blue Box Carbon Steel Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ZethLent, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

I have been meaning to try these as they are half the price of Feather Hi-Stainless. On my lunch hour today I picked up two boxes of 10 and plan on using them on the morn. I have used Feather Hi-Stainless almost exclusivly for over a year now and have recently added Derby Extra now and then when I am not planning on an against the grain pass.

I opened them up and they are a dark purple black colour with a mirror like edge. pretty cool. They come in a paper box unlike the others that come in a plastice box with a blade bank.

I'll fill you in on the details after I use them the first time.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nice! :happy088

Keep us posted.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm a fellow Feather-user and I'm very interested to hear your review. I notice you're located in Japan- any way to find these blades in the states, provided that they're worth finding?

4. Feather Carbon blades are made for microscopy work. They are not PTFE coated so should be very uncomfortable to shave with. The Platinum coated blades go though serveral levels of coatings which is why they are more expensive.

Any carbon shaving blades like treets are PTFE coated.

Paul

5. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

As a preface:

The blades I mentioned in the title of the tread:
    [​IMG]

And Hi-Stainless:
    [​IMG]

The back of the box of the carbon blade states that they are for shaving beard hair. I realize that Feather makes others for lab-use and other scientific purposes but these aren't those. And they aren't coated as stated above. But they are for shaving.

I was told over a year ago that this blade wasn't being made anymore and that once they were gone that would be it. There was still available stock on the Feather website so I thought that I would give them a shot. They are a much poorer shaver that the Hi-Stainless. A lot of pulling and just not as sharp. A little more rigid too. I will give them a couple more goes and that will be it.

My first impression was that they felt like a day 2 Merkur (for me, merkurs are barely sharp enough to get through the first shave. I have thick stiff wiskers). I did get a fair shave, as I do with a Merkur, but not as slick as I would have with a day 1 Hi-stainless. Again not sharp enough for my tastes.

6. Feather carbon shaving blades! They must be PTFE coated then, they won't say it on the pack but all blades for shaving are at least PTFE coated.

The uncoated blades are truly awful.

Regards,

Paul

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks ZethLent for sharing the great info. I had no idea Feather offered such a wide range of blades.

Have you tried other Carbon blades? I haven't read much on them, although I think I re-call Leisureguy had tried some perhaps a few types and enjoyed them if I'm not mistaken...

Are they prone to rust /dull much faster than a stainless or coated blade as Paul had mentioned? Do you just get a couple shave from them and toss them?