Feather SE Blades and AutoStrops

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lradke, Feb 10, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Yesterday when I got home from work, I had a package in the mailbox. Much to my happiness it was my order of Feather SE blades. I quickly opened it up and beheld these beauties.

I ordered them to use in my AutoStrop razor, as I didn't want to keep modifying GEM blades in order to make them fit. Now I have 2 models of the AutoStrop, the first is a Model C, the one where the blades slide into the blade holder from the side. However, one of the blade stops is broken so I only used it once, and very carefully. I recently picked up a replacement AutoStrop, a brass one that has side clips to hold in the blade. The kicker of this one is that it cannot used modified GEM blades, as it requires the VALET cut-out to be present.

Now for the question EVERYONE (including myself) asks... "Do Feather SE blades fit in the Valet razors?"

My answer... "YES". I am writing this so there can be no question regarding this fact, because when searching for it I found nothing more than a 2 line post on another shave site that somewhat answered this. (Please note...I only have 2 models of the Valet razor, and can only vouch for these.) I will be referring to my razor that only loads the VALET blades, because it is an obvious yes that these will work in the Model C.

First - You will find that the cut-out on the feather razor is VERY similar and almost exactly the same as the Valet blade, with the exception of some additional spaces. Other than the cut-out marking, the blade is pretty much the same as the old steel blades, in size, thickness, and shape. Please see the image below for a comparison.

Second - Once the blade is loaded (yes the wax is still on the blade, I don't really care to clean it off) you will notice that the blade easily fits with the pegs in a comfortable place. Please see the image below for a comparison.

Third - As it can be seen, the blade fits comfortably in the razor, when it is locked in position to shave. Now even though there was all the empty space below the pegs that may allow the blade to slide, please consider the directions of pressure. When the razor is locked for shaving, the pressure on the blade stops (corners of the cutting edge) presses the blade back against the pins on which it rests, creating a sandwiching effect. Therefore you never need to worry about the blade shifting when shaving!

I hope this helps answer any questions people may have regarding these blades and their use in an AutoStrop. I have included the images below comparing the VALET blades to the Feather.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Mustache and Browny like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sweet! I remember when the talk was going around about Iamdarkangel2005 getting some of these in. I bought a Valet razor so that I could try it out once the blades got it.

I now know that I bought the wrong Valet. Mine has the side clip loader thingy. Perhaps i will run across the proper Valet as cheap as I got the other one and try out the blades.

Except the blades are $1.00 each, plus shipping. I dunno... that might put me off.

Do let us know how they shave!

3. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Not a razor I own, but these are the kinds of posts that are a great service to the wet-shaving community, so I just wan to say: Bravo!

And thank you for the informative and well-illustrated post.

Bill

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Here is a thread from a while back on it. That is all I use in mine. There are a couple models that don't work quite right, but most work great. Enjoy the shaves!

5. beautiful razor!!

6. lradke

Thank you for mentioning your thread! I couldn't find it when I was researching these blades. Your razor is the other model I know about but don't have. It is great to see that it works in yours too.

Stingray, I think this may be your razor. I got my blades form Razor Blades and More, but I know they run around $50 for a case of 100 from the Feather store (though it is all in japanese, and I don't know if they ship to North America).

Thanks again Rodd!

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've tried both styles of Auto Strop.* I modified some regular SE blades to use in the non-cutout style. Got some of the cutout Feather blades and used them in the other type.

Both worked well, but I learned not to use the stropping feature with them, even though I have a couple of the strops. It's a neat thing to see it in action, but I spoiled the first Feather blade that I tried by stropping it first. The next one I left alone, and it provided a good shave, although the blade didn't seem as sharp as the Feather DE blades. I think I prefer the modified Gems in the non-cutout version, but I'm glad I tried them both.

Those glue spots on the Feathers are ridiculous, though. Some call them wax, but I have my doubts. Either way, why did they think it necessary to put so much on there?

*Edit. Okay, there are more than two styles, but there are ones that use the special cutout blades, and others that use a kind without the cutout. Regular Gem blades will fit the latter if you take off the spines and snip little bits out of the sides.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup.... they are nice blades and I am almost out of my current stock. I was quite happy when David said he could get some in.

I have successfully used them in all of my Valet; however, I certainly don't have every model or variety.

9. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Ha, this is great! I have a few Auto's ( just got another) and I've always wanted to try them but hesitated because of the blades. I thought they were a very clever razor and marvel at the ingenuity of the design and the joy of watching them work.
    since they're Feathers my guess is they are pretty sharp.
    Well now I have another objective to follow up on.
    Thanks!

10. lradke

I just tried one out last night in the razor I used in the above post. I only dared to do 2 passes because I always have trouble finding the angles when using a new razor. A few weeks back I got some GEM PTFE blades from Connaught Shaving, and I thought those were sharp...I have honestly never felt anything like these feather blades before. I see why people like them. I am just gonna take it slow.

But anyway, two thumbs up on blade sharpness!

11. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Dragging this old thread back to life...

I found one VAS razor that the feather blade doesn't work in. See that little bump by the 'E'? that keeps the feather from lining up right. I'm tempted to take the blade out to my drill press and drill the offending bit of blade (circled in red below)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

All this talk about the feather se's and such makes me want a HUNTLEE even more. After all the waiting, I sincerely hope its worth the wait.

13. jonmich

jonmich Member

Some people have nipped bump off with pliers. I suppose it could also be filed off.
    Feather do a carbon steel blade called a Seikan to fit the VAS - being carbon steel this may be able to be stropped like the original Valet blade.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEATHER-SEIKAN-Razor-Blade-Single-edged-10pcs-/221164162883
    If nothing else it might make the Feather seem smoother if stropped.
    Most people have posted on Shaving Forums that original Valet blades are useless, even when stropped - mainly due to age.