February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to the thread!

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Shake off the restrictions and shave away! Those brushes will still be waiting when you're ready.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have found with shavettes or straights it's tougher to hold angle going ATG. Definitely a matter of practice makes perfect - and keeps arteries intact.

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Glad you are here!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. SharptoothC

Congrats! They are lots of fun!

6. SharptoothC

Ditto that. With the Feather.

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks !

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fatboy February 2017!!

Well, here's my plan for the month. I will be resuming the Grand Blade Trial in February which, of course, an adjustable razor is perfect for, if not essential by my rules. As of today I do not have a Fatboy in my collection. I do, however, have the following on its way from Cajun Country.

My Fatboy.jpg
    Once it arrives I WILL have a Fatboy in my collection thanks to the wild razor hunting ability of our very own @RyX . He had graciously offered to set aside the next one he bagged for me a few weeks ago and this beauty was the one. And talk about perfect timing.....notice the date code on that razor? The "E" on the baseplate? That would be 1959. And the Quarter code is "4", which you can't see in that view. That would be, of course, 4th quarter, or October through December. My birthday is October 7, 1959 so.....not only did he find me a very nice looking Fatboy, he found my birth year and quarter Fatboy without knowing he was doing it. The Shaving Fates are generous!!

It should be here Thursday so I hope to have it out and ready by my shave that night. To start the month, though, I'll use my Slim as I have done throughout the GBT. The two razors share the same gaps at each setting with the main difference being head geometry. I am going to modify the trial by starting at "3" then going to "6" and "9" on successive shaves. That will better line up with the common wisdom on the best mild setting on the Fatboy.

I'm also going to modify the soap to include both Arko and Route 66. I'll stick with one soap per blade, but the variety will help my mindset. Also, both are quite slick and excellent. Brush will be choice of the day. And, finally, the blades up for February are:

1. Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum Black (India)
    2. Crown Platinum (Egypt)
    3. Zaza Super Stainless (Turkey)
    4. Merkur Super Platinum (Germany)
    5. Polsilver Super Iridium (Russia - St. Pete)
    6. Astra Superior Platinum (Russia - St. Pete)
    7. Wizamet Super Iridium (Russia - St. Pete)
    8. SuperMax Platinum Plus (India/Vidyut)
    9. Centwin Super Platinum (India/Malhotra)

All of that begins February 1! Here's to another fantastic month!!

Fatboy February.jpg

9. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So this will be first time, but I don't have a Fatboy *coughwantobuyonecough* and since I'm still new to this I'm going to be using my Art of Manliness branded Edwin Jagger with an Astra Superior Platinum blade, a Maggard Razors 24mm Synthetic Shaving Brush, and Col Conks High Desert Breeze shaving soap (since this is what came with my starter kit). My focus is to work on getting a good lather, which I've sucked at so far. So tips welcome.

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Well, this whole Fatboy February idea is starting to make me consider changing to my Gillette 195 for the month...okay, I'm in!

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Glad you are here. You will be making billowing clouds of lather before the month is up.

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Hmmm.. When I think of a fatboy from Cajun Country, I think of:
    image.jpeg
    But he died a couple of years ago. He did manage to turn an accidentally burned plate of redfish into an iconic dish. Not much of a shaver though. Now I have a craving for Chicken and Andouille Gumbo.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah I'm secretly hoping the razor shows up in a box with about 3 pounds of crawdads.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I knew we'd supply enough peer pressure for you.

15. cmorris357

We have a restaurant called Crawdaddys Cajun and Creole here that was opened by a relocated Cajun. I can get my fix any time I want. This is a sample of what's available tomorrow.
    [​IMG] image.jpeg

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Simpson ’58
    Panna Crema Nuavia Rossa
    The One Blade
    Feather FHS-10
    Fine American Blend

[​IMG]

txskimo, wristwatchb, Troy M and 12 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'd rather have that than a steak dinner any day.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Finding Fat Boys in the wild has been good for me. I should have kept count as I'm around 6 or 8 now. I did pass up two. One was ebay priced around $45, the other had bent bits that didn't want to fix. I've already got one name on my Number Next list. So @COMPNOR keep watching for me to post em in The Haul thread. John @John Ruschmeyer , Troy @Troy M , and now Neal got the last three I found.

Yumm, low Country Boil? That's a good looking plate full. Mardi Gras here soon so the drive thru shops will open shortly. Field run crawfish sold for around twenty buck a sack (30 lbs) at the height of season last year.

19. cmorris357

Yeah he does a great boil. I used to have a friend in the seafood business who would get fresh tail meat for me every year. I make a mean crawfish étouffée.

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Étouffée is one of my favorites. Are you willing to share your recipe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.