feedback regarding open comb hefty merkur open comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thomas6, Jul 27, 2008.

1. thomas6

thomas6 New Member

I'm a new member to the forum and I would like feedback regarding the merkur open comb razor. Well, I've been wetshaving for a few months already, and on average I have been getting good shaves. I have been using the merkur classic razor with merkur blades and I think they're both good. Although, I want something better to give me a consistent smooth and close shave. I am an 21 year old african american with a fairly coarse beard. I have previously ordered a blade sample pack to help me discover the right blade. My shaving techniques are good, and I have honestly nicked myself only once with the merkur blades. I browse the forum a lot and I heard about the merkur hd open comb and was curious about it. I have heard that the hefty merkur open comb is great for coarse/heavy beards, which is why I gave it consideration. In addition, I do use a highly recommended preshave routine everytime I shave. I would greatly appreciate everyone's reviews and/or advice about my choice of razor. :confused:

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome to TSD!

I haven't used the Merkur open comb razor, but vintage Gillette open comb razors with very good results. Now, I must admit that my beard type is the exact opposite of yours, soft and thin so that is what my experience is based on.

From what I have understood, the open comb was deviced to allow the shaving cream/soap come closer to the blade thus allowing for more slip.

Glad to hear you have had success with the Merkur blades, as you say, the Merkur blades are generally considered to be on the harsh side. If you want sharp blades I would recommend Feathers, they will cut the thoughest beard with ease!

And you have got it right with the preshave routine too! That is essential for a great shave!

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den, thomas6! You mention that you ordered a blade sampler...did any of them seem more consistent than the Merkur blade? An open comb does give you more blade exposure, so that can be a plus for someone with a course beard. An while my pre-shave routine mainly consists of a hot towel treatment (sometimes), if you have one that is working for you, by all means, keep that up!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Thomas6!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away! :happy088

Sorry, I can't help you with the open comb question.

5. mickdaman

mickdaman New Member

Hi Thomas, I haven't used the hefty version, but I've had the Classic open-comb for a few months now. I find it works very well, and my beard is quite heavy. It's a little more aggressive than my Merkur safety-bar (I have the travel model). I don't know about any comb difference between the HD and regular Merkurs, but the HD is a two-piece razor, and the regular classic is a three-piece.

Once you change razors, you might find you'll get a different result with your regular blade, i.e. some blades suit some razors better. I'm still trying combinations but, for instance, with a feather blade in an open-comb, Go Slow!

6. dbf

dbf New Member

HD open comb

Thomas6, I own and have used both the bar and the open comb Merkur HD and find little or no difference between the two. Knowing that now, I would not have spent the money on the open comb after I already owned the bar type. I too have a heavy coarse beard that sees my razor 2x a day.

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I have a heavy course beard. I dont think the open comb will suit you any better than the regular merkur HD. I would actually suggest the regular HD as I've been through a hoard of vintage razors and have found that in the end, I've come full circle back to the HD. Its a work horse of a razor with great weight distribution. Which sample pack did you buy? I found that none of the blades I really ended up liking came with the west coast sample pack. The tryphon was a different story. A couple blades I've come to love with my regular HD are Irridium supers and Astras. The preshave rutine is also a huge portion of getting the job done right. You need your pores open and your whiskers soft before you put a razor to your face. I've found that in the end, a preshave oil works best for me. I apply it in the shower after washing my face and let it sit while I wash my body. I than go straight from the shower, dry my body, and face lather some cream up. I'm now getting the best results I've ever had.

8. Erimus

Erimus New Member

If you're considering an open comb, I wouldn't look any further than a Gillette New. It's the best open comb you can buy and Gillettes finest imo, plus they can still be picked up very cheap. I would place this razor on par with a slant.

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I own both the HD and Barberpole version of the open-comb, and I really like them. I feel that they shave a little more aggressively (in a good way) than the straight bar versions, and one of these, or a Gillette open-comb, is what I use when I need to shave 3-4 days of growth. I say give one a try, but, as is already being touched on, I think finding the right blade is more important than the razor. I never found Merkur blades to be particularily sharp (and I don't have a heavy beard), so I would consider trying a Derby or Feather before changing razors -- although trying all the different razors can be fun, if you are looking at this as a hobby.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Welcome to the den. I have multiple open comb Merkurs. The head design is the same now as it was 50 years ago. They give great shaves, but I would say they are slightly more aggressive then their closed comb counterpart. I tend to reach for them when it has been more than 24 hours since my last shave.