Finally....All RADs Are Gone.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Redrock, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My AD's have calmed down a lot! Although I still buy, I'm not buying multiple razors, soaps, blades, brushes or AS in a month anymore. Although I did recently get a couple of slants(PAA Bakelit , Merkur 37C & Maggard slant) to try out. The Maggard slant is now one of my daily drivers. I'm hoping to replace my "potmetal" favorites with SS or brass at some point.
    Ahhh it never really stops and I don't think I really want it to stop! :)

Redrock, RyX, BigMark83 and 1 other person like this.
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have to agree that this is a good feeling. A bit of consistency and bliss does wonders for the shave den.

I spent the better part of a year working through more SEs and injectors than I care to admit to. Were all of them needed? Absolutely not, but I did end up finding exactly what does and what does not work for me.

I now have a solid rotation of 6 (2 DEs, 2 SEs, 2 injectors) that give excellent shaves and provide nice variety. I've moved into my 12th step of RAD, helping those who still suffer. ;)

Redrock, RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

When I found the online shaving communities years ago, I bought (and sold) various razors. I have settled down over the years, and only have:

a Mühle Rocca (could not resist that one last December, and I am glad I bought it)
    Fatip Open Comb (really all I need at home)
    Gillette GII (my travel razor)

I have used the GII since 1984. Still works, and as efficient (but less fun) as a DE razor.

My only sin really is aftershaves; I have enough for three lifetimes.

Edit: about brushes, since I bought an Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre two years ago or so, I cured my BAD as well (mostly, still lusting for a Simpson Chubby synthetic, but I cannot really justify the price).

Jim99, Redrock, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

In a few short years I have now bought almost every razor I set out to have. I'd like to have a Merkur Vision and a Blackland Blackbird....but I have spent a crap ton of money on razors. The replate costs alone could have kept me in carts for years, but where is the fun in that?

I had so many hit my den in a short period of time I can't use them all. I have a complete ATT set that's been used less than 5 times...and only the slant. I have an Eclipse Red Ring that has been on my desk for a couple of months. Please don't judge :)

I know that sounds bad... But I can't keep my hands off of the Toggles and the Red Dot Fatboy. They are not only great shavers but they are beautiful works of art.

My RAD is in remission and I have hundreds of blades.

I'm good, too. It's a nice place to be. My razor money is now going to a custom Gen 5 Glock build. Wooohooo! [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Razorhound, Jim99 and Redrock like this.
  5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

It's impossible to know how I'll feel a few years from now but since I got a Slim and a Fatboy, I've never had a desire to buy anything else. I'm with gorgo2 in that there are still things that I'd like to try but I'm not looking to acquire anything new at the moment.

The first several months of making to switch to shaving like this were like being a kid in a candy story. I had to try every blade and every soap, and I wanted every razor. When I finally found the razors, blades, and creams that worked for me, I haven't really purchased much of anything else.

Jim99 and Redrock like this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies. The vintage Gillette razors and the lone Krona settled the razor thingy for me. I have a birth year (1947) Slim. At almost 70 years old, it still gives me close, comfortable shaves. Remarkable.

Razorhound and Jim99 like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yeah right ... hours after this post, I bought a new boar brush because I simply could not resist :-P

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Razorhound and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, so our RADs have calmed down. Is anyone considering downsizing their den? I've considered it numerous times, but I just can't decide what stays and what goes. After all, how does one justify having a collection of 45 or so razors?

On the other hand, maybe I'll just keep what I have as they're all razors that I really wanted in the first place and all are fantastic shavers.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No desire for anything new... for now.

PanChango likes this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Contentment is a blessing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The only downsizing will be with my soaps, at that will come as I use 'em up. Then I'll only keep VDH Delux, VDH Luxury, Tabac, and a couple pucks of TSD on hand.

12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have considered it but it's all still too new to me to let go. But I am in a place where I am not actively looking online. If I find a good deal on something unique in the wild I may spring, but I have quite enough to keep me occupied if I don't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jim99 likes this.
  13. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

It took me the better part of a year to finally settle on a rotation of 6 razors I get consistent results from (2 DE, 2 SE, 2 injectors), along with a Travel Tech. Will be thinning the collection dramatically in the coming weeks.

I'd rather someone get some good use from these fine razors than hoard them here with little to no use.

Not going minimalist, by any stretch of the imagination, but a bit of reduction and efficiency on my end does me good.

LOOT, Primotenore and Jim99 like this.