Fine Slant or Merkur 37?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gobeavs, May 5, 2016.

1. gobeavs

gobeavs Member

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new razor and have decided to make it my first slant bar. I've narrowed it down to these two for reasons of price, basically. I own and use a Merkur 34c and really like it. I also have a bunch of old Gillette DE's that I love. Redtip, Superspeed, Bluetip, Ball End Tech, etc. I have a pretty coarse beard and regular skin type, I think. (A few sensitive spots but I'm sure everyone has those.)

What do you think would be best for a slantbar noob?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I think the merkur slant. I have a Hoffritz and to me seems aggressive. So since it's a rebranded merkur I think that's a good choice

Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The 37C IMV is a clone of the 34C with an attitude. The build and heft are very similar and of course the price is right. I use both and enjot them but I have not used the new Fine Slant so I can't comment.

Bill G and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have the Merkur 39c (big brother to the 37c, but the same head) and it's a wonderfully smooth razor. I don't know about the Fine...isn't it plastic?

5. gobeavs

gobeavs Member

Yes, I believe it's a polymer maybe? Lightweight but still good, or so I've heard.

6. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Merkur 37C or 39C both are great slant razors and I get great shaves with both. It would really depend on weather you like a short or long handle on your razor as the shave heads are the same between the 37c and the 39c. I normally like the shorter handles myself but with the Merkur slants mentioned I slightly prefer the 39C longer handle myself (this was a surprise to me) it just works well on this razor. The Fine is plastic and I don't know much about it but the Merkur slants are tried and true and solid work horse razors that provide great shave when used correctly.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

7. shmuel

shmuel Member

I've used both and prefer the Fine. Yes it is very light, but it gives a wonderful shave. Nothing wrong with the 37C so you will be happy either way. Since you like the 34C, the Merkur is probably your safer option.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Go with the iKon SC102. If you're asking me I'd say the 37c.

Herm2502 and Bill G like this.
  9. Herm2502

Yep, I've got a 102, too. Another really smooth razor.

Bill G and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Herm2502

The 39c is definitely longer and heavier. There's a reason the 39c is called "The Sledgehammer".

Bill G likes this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'd prefer metal over plastic any day, and my 39 c is a great shave. The 37c is probably a little more manageable being lighter somewhat.

Bill G and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'd love to try the Fine slant but I don't want to buy one just to see if I like it.

Bill G, White731 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I was a bit dissapointed with the quality of the Fine slant, for making great aftershaves and now a soap, I am surprised they would come out with a plastic razor. I haven't tried it so I can't speak for the performance, but it reminded me of a Cracker Jack prize. No disrespect to Fine, but I dont think this was a good business decision on their part.

Bill G likes this.
  14. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

The FINE gives for me better shaves than the 37C which I find very harsh.

Both are however are for my taste very aggressive - mind you I had only 2 shaves with the FINE so far and it could well be due to the very light weight...the FINE is (surprisingly) for me a much smoother shaver than the 37C.

I know it is well above your price range, but from the currently readily available slants, my No 1 is the ATT S1 (by a large margin that is) - and I haven't tried the IKON 102 yet (only the IKON DLC).

15. Herm2502

I know many find slants to be aggressive, but I have found both the Ikon 102 and the 39c to be the easiest, mildest, smoothest razors I own. IMHO, YMMV. :)

Bill G likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The plastic puts me off as well but it is supposedly a great shaver.

The 37C was recently refined and shavers with the new version reports that it's smoother in use and with a better finish.

I'd go with the Merkur.

Herm2502 and Bill G like this.
  17. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

The Fine is mild for a slant. The slanting of the blade assist the cut for sure. 7 cuts in, I can say it's easily a great single pass shave. Plastic is definitely a perception drawback at $30 dang dollars, but it is an awesome shave. Aluminum would've been spectacular at this same price...but oh well. I am glad that the head fits on other handles when I want a heavier option. Overall so far... I like it very much. It satisfies shavewise...it just feels like a toy. But, therein lies the magic.

18. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

Not one of the two listed options, but there is a 15$ kracken slant razor for sale. Some guy 3d prints then. A cheap way to go if very unsure

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

19. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

Now that is awesome. My only question is the plastic in his going to last and how are his angles... is it to aggressive or to mild. I'll have to research it.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

There is also the SR-71 slant razor from The Holy Black that goes for $40

Robyflexx likes this.