First Adjustable-'66 Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just got back from the Post Office. I secured a '66 Gillette Slim in a "too good to be true" BST down the road. This is my first adjustable. I am anxious to shave with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool!

My advice, since it's your first adjustable:
    Shave 1 - set at 3, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 2 - set at 4, complete shave...
    Shave 3 - set at 5...
    Continue until you reach that "one-too-many" setting, then back it down one - you just found the sweet spot.

Now some folks like to adjust during the shave, starting wild (wide open 9) then backing down for each pass.
    Other are the other way 'round, starting mild for the first pass, then cranking it up.

Me, I leave mine locked at 6, but that's me. As I say, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

JRod22 likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

"GREAT" score!!! It looks to be in really excellent condition...They make really nice shavers,are still affordable on ebay and I.M.O. are must haves in any collection...:)

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice razor! I concur with Steve's advice on starting up with an adjustable. I found the Gillette Slim to be quite MILD, even at the 'extreme' settings.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Nice razor my friend you will love it! I have 2 of my own!

6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

It is set on "3" and ready to go..........

7. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Great razor! I have a '62 that I love.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Like everybody says Great razor! I have a J3 adjustable love it.:cool:

9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very nice razor. I know you'll enjoy it. I been using mine for thirty eight years and it hasn't let me down yet.

ObiDon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

My second DE razor was and still is a 66 Slim and it is the one I did my blade testing with. Still my favorite razor.

11. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Nice One Bobcat !!!

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I had a great first shave with it this morning set on "3". Tomorrow we go to "4"! It is well balanced for me and handles easily.

[​IMG]

13. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

You also take some nice photos Bobcat :signs154:

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Awesome razor. I have a '62 Slim, it happens to be one of my favorite razors. I personally start at 7 for my first pass and then bring it down to 3 for my following passes. It is the razor I keep going back to.

15. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Still dialing it in. "4" today, "5" tomorrow. Great shaves!

[​IMG]

JRod22 likes this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

"5" today, "6" tomorrow. Another great close, nick & burn free shave. I think I will keep "Slim". Good ol' Texas nickname anyway.....

[​IMG]

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My '66 Slim delivers consistently great shaves, and it is easy to see why this razor is so highly regarded. I see you have Krampert's Finest bay rum, an outstanding aftershave and the perfect way to finish off a shave with a Slim. May all your shaves be excellent!

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've used several DErazors in the short time I've been wet shaving (two years.) My '62 Slim has beat out Weber, Merkur, Parker, Gillette Super Speeds, and Wizamet. I always know I'll get a fantastic shave with my Slim.

My current DE line up is my '62 Slim, a Schick Krona, Gillette Aluminum Tech, and Weber PH Bulldog... in that order.

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

One more update. I am getting it dialed in. Another great close, nick & burn free shave. I could tell I definitely needed to give it my complete attention with my technique. No OOP's though.

"6" today, "7" tomorrow.

[​IMG]