First DE Shave, what blade ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hi Folks, with my fist DE Shave just around the corner, I am wondering which blade I should use out of my sampler. I will have the following blades to pick from:

Feather
    Rapira stainless
    Astra SP
    Treet Silver
    Personna Lab Blue
    Personna Platinum
    Dorco ST-301
    Dorco Prime Platinum
    Gillette - 7 0'Clock - Super Stainless
    Super-Max - Platinum
    Baili - Super Blue

What are your though on which blade I should use for my first shave, and continue using while I learn and and work on improving my technique?

Double Edge Dougy and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome! I would avoid the Feather for your first shave. They tend to bite as you are learning them, but work great once your technique is solid. I haven't tried the Treet or Baili, but the rest of your blades have all worked for me. I would say pick one and try it. Blades are different for each person, and can also vary for each person from razor to razor.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As Adam said, it varies from person to person. I've even heard of folks starting out with the Feathers and lovin' 'em.
    Seriously, toss 'em all into a paper bag, shake 'em up, close your eyes and grab one.
    And with any and all blades, go slow, pay attention, and respect the blade.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My OCD says: Alphabetize them. Keep a record. Keeping in mind that as your technique improves so will your opinion of the blades you use.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  5. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

If you use this method, please be sure they are still in the wrappers.

RyX and Drygulch like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Party-pooper. :prrr: :taunt002:

RyX, idvsego and Drygulch like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    ^^^ Legitimate excuse to start with the Astra SP, which is probably the blade I would recommend anyways.

8. Lfs70

Lfs70 Member

Astra is one of the most consistant blades I have used.
    Go Astra!

Double Edge Dougy and Herm2502 like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Astra Sp or Personna lab blue have worked consistently well in all my razors.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  10. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

This is good advice. The op just enjoy trying all of em and make notes of which ones agree with you and which ones dont. Since your new dont write off the ones you dont like now, tevisit them after some time or in a different razor. Good luck have fun.

PLANofMAN, swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Leo Davis

Leo Davis New Member

Astra SPs have never let me down. They're sharp, but smooth, comfortable, and forgiving.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've been using the SP's and they are great. So much so that I think they are setting the bar high and I think the other blades I have won't quite live up to them.We shall see

13. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

I'm about to dive into a sampler myself, ill basically try anything but the feather first, and see where it goes!