first product order suggestions

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by nibbs, Nov 30, 2014.

1. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

After reading countless stickys and posts, I'm ready to dive right in here placing an order for some product to start shaving with a DE.

Haven't decided what DE as of yet, though it'll be one of the 3/4 that are always brought up into discussion. I'll be getting a sampler pack of blades.

As for soaps/creams- this is where I'd wish for some advice to not break the bank at the start here. I'm sure I'll try others in the future, but am looking for some advice as starting off.

I'd typically shave in the shower- now, most likely after. I have more of a sensitive skin type, coarse/thick hair. I'll be most likely picking up an alum block and trying the Nivea after shave balm to start as it's an often brought up product.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

greatbolo and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

Sorry for the confusion- *had* shaved in the shower with cartridge style... Now, it'd be after. I've scoured the shop often... Just waiting to click "submit order" after adding some final items! Thanks!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

TSD Lanolin soaps are amazing! Pick a scent that sounds good, easy to lather, great skincare! The aftetshaves are the same. If you like a little chill in your morning, try M-Bomb. Just a drop or two will bring a nice cold to your face, also can add to aftetshaves, shampoo. And don't forget the witch hazel.

Bama Samurai and nibbs like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hi Nibbs and welcome! :signs046:

My suggestion would be:

1. If you are looking for something you can buy locally,(Walmart, CVS, Walgreens)

VDH deluxe_50pct.jpg

This is an excellent soap. It's has a clean and mild scent. I've never heard anyone say that
    they have had an adverse reaction to it. It's easy to lather, and is gentle to the skin.
    A puck is rather small compared to many other brands, (about 2.5 oz) but 1 puck should
    last about 1-2 months with every day use.
    It usually goes for $1.50 to $2.50 depending on which store, if it's on sale, etc.
    Van der Hagen makes other soaps, which some find acceptable, but my experience with them
    has not been good. I much prefer the old original formula shown here - Deluxe.

2. If you are going to buy online, then the choices are numerous.

A very good hard soap is Ogallala Bay Rum. (there are several scents/varieties included unscented)
    It is long lasting, easy to lather, and kind to the skin.
    A 4.5 oz. puck is usually about $4.50 to $6.00, and with every day use it will easily last 2-3 months.

Ogallala-Bay-Rum-Shaving-Soap-Hard-Puck-4_5oz-350x350.jpg

If you would prefer a crème (in a squeeze tube) there are also a great many,
    but you really cannot go wrong with Palmolive Classic shaving crème.
    Depending on which vendor you choose, either of these is excellent.
    Usually about $5.00 to $7.00, used daily a tube will last you 1-2 months.

palmolive-shaving-cream-menthol-1.jpg palmolive-shave-cream-classic-tube-350x350.jpg

All of these are well known soaps/crèmes, not very expensive, and are excellent choices for someone new
    to wet shaving.

Best wishes to you Nibbs, please come back and let us know how you are progressing!

Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    178-bplatoon, nibbs and Spud like this.
  6. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

My first soap was proraso green. Which is easy to lather and learn from.

7. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

Thanks all- my assumption was to get something easy to get a consistent lather- not that there is a magical product... I've read countless cream vs soap comments and really have come to the conclusion it's personal preference at the end of the day. I was leaning towards a tube cream to start figuring try to play on that consistency theme- if there's any truth to that!

Appreciate the help and comments!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

The Proraso Green Tea and Oatmeal (the white tub) is designed for sensitive skin. It's one of my favourites.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If you order any soaps online I'd give a vote for Arko. It's inexpensive and "for me at least" it works very well. Another plus in my mind is that while it comes in both stick and puck form. You can try it out as a stick first and then if you like you can take all or part of the stick and mash it into a bowl. I use a small Ziploc storage bowl. :shaver

nibbs likes this.
  10. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I am still fairly new but like @kurtmill mentioned above I also started with the Proraso Green. I concur it is easy to lather. It seems to be very forgiving trying to find the right water to cream balance. It is a great price too.

nibbs likes this.
  11. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

the Proraso White was my first, and my first tub is going on its 5th month. I've also used some other stuff in that time, but it's been lasting forever.

nibbs likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I second.