First shave with Futur

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by denshaver, Apr 26, 2014.

1. denshaver

denshaver Member

I just finished my first shave with a Futur.
    It was on the 2 setting.
    I used TOBS almond cream and a Voskhod Teflon coated blade.
    The shave is almost BBS, but my face feels just slightly irritated.
    Does not look bad, just feels like something.
    Can anyone please give me opinions or suggestions as to what it might be or I might change to improve.
    Appreciate your thoughts.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If your face is irritated, try...

Less pressure
    Setting of 1.5

PatrickA51 and fram773 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Options to reduce post-shave irritation:
    • Use a good pre-shave oil and apply it and let it 'soak in' before applying shave cream.
    • As Steve suggested, back off a bit on the gauge to 1.5
    • Apply a soothing, alcohol-free balm post shave.

The Futur is an outstanding and versatile razor. Once you get it dialed in, you can look forward to many quality shaves.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. denshaver

denshaver Member

Thanks, great idea. I have already set it down to 1.5 for next shave and because the razor is heavy, i try not to apply any pressure at all.

5. denshaver

denshaver Member

Thanks I will try your suggestions.
    This is just such a beautiful razor !!
    What about the blade I'm using?...can the blade cause this or does the blade just make it a better. closer shave?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would blame the blade only if it causes irritation when used in other razors.
    Derby blades irritate me no matter what razor I put them in.

That said, different blades do work differently in different razors. Here's some great info @GDCarrington put together on the subject ---> *click*
    My suggestion would be to grab a blade that works well for you in another razor and try it in the Futur. Back it down to 1.5 and work on your technique. After 4-6 shaves, you should be able to tell what's going on and where you have to make your adjustments - with the razor setting or a different blade.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Getting to better is based on an interaction between four things, your skin, the razor and its setting, the blade, and your technique. Your skin type and sensitivity is fixed. Preparation which is a part of technique helps. The razor.s setting can and should be set back, if more passes are needed so be it. The technique must be built over some time. So now you must go through the task of searching for the right blade for the razor, your current technique and your skin. That will require that you try different blades to find the one. Now here is what will help your cause ...

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade, enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

Good fortune to you.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. denshaver

denshaver Member

Great link to razor and blade info - THANKS!

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. denshaver

denshaver Member

Okay, thank you. Very good experimental technique to determine variable that is improving or not for the shave.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The Futur is a good razor. It seems like I can throw any blade I have in it and get a pretty good shave. That doesn't happen with many razors. No pressure is the key.

11. denshaver

denshaver Member

Well, that is very good to know-that it likes just about any blade.

12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Pressure was the hardest aspect of learning to shave with a DE. You shouldn't have any. It might sound counter intuitive but depending on your learning style you can try the opposite approach- use it in a higher setting. That should teach you quick. It worked for me- when using a mild light razor I was over prone to use pressure. With a heavier slightly more aggressive razor the razor burn was so much I quickly unlearned my old habits.

Also a trick I like to use is to use an alcohol based aftershave. Sometimes razor burn isn't immediately visible but can be revealed with it. I know I had a good shave If I don't feel any burn from it. Negative reinforcement works wonders for me.

feeltheburn likes this.