First Shave With Vintage

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bowler Mike, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I started wet shaving 6.weeks ago with the MicroTouch. Picked up this 64 Gillette Slim on eBay. Set to 3 put in the Crystal blade from the MTO in and gave it try. Best shave to date but irritating though at least according to the alum block quit bit of burn. Will focus on no pressure next time maybe a different blade?

image.jpg

2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Some razors are picky about blades, for sure. I'd use the same blade for three shaves if possible to make sure that is the issue. Just my 2 cents

Boojum1, Mr. Shaverman and BigMark like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice! Practice makes perfect. Congrats on your new razor!

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Could be inferior lather or it could be the blade. I tried a crystal in one of my razors, which all happen to be Gillettes, and lets just say I ended up in worse shape than you. The thing is, different blades work differently in different razors while some suck no matter what for some people, such as myself. No mater what razor I use I cannot use Crystals. The older razors are milder than today's sort so I recommend trying some good sharp blades.

5. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

You state you "put the Crystal from the MTO" in the slim. How many shaves on the Crystal in the MTO before you moved it to the slim? Try a new blade in the slim, not a used one. Don't blame the blade or razor until you try it with a new one. MHO.

Bristle Me, BigMark and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm a rookie too, just 5 months. I've noticed with my slim that I have to pay close attention to the angle. I also started on 3 and find I get a better shave on a higher number setting.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use a SR 99% of the time but when I do use a DE it is a slim and I find the setting of 7 to be perfect with a feather blade. I have also used in the same razor with ok but not as great results
    Crystal, Gillette silver blue, Gillette yellow, Gillette black, Derby, Shark, Balzano and a few more

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to vintage shaving. The Slim is an excellent razor. As was said, the right blade can make a difference, and the right setting "for you" will complete the difference. Probably 90% of the time, I am shaving with a vintage razor. It was my rabbit hole.

9. Bowler Mike

Thanks there were 2 shaves on the blade I tried.

SRNewb likes this.
  10. Bowler Mike

Thanks I'll pay more attention to angle the MTO shaved best for me at about 45 to 55 degrees I'm guessing. I'm assuming the Slim will be close to that the heads look identical.

11. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Blades can make a big difference. Go to tryablade.com, get two of each brand you want to try to get proper testing.

12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Try a little shallower angle. I have a Fatboy, which is a slightly different head, but the blade gaps are the same as the slim. Never seen one, but I bet your MTO has a blade gap closer to a 1 on the slim. When you open up that gap without changing your angle, you expose more of the side if the blade to your skin, which can up the irritation.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Oh, I can't remember if anyone said this, and I am too tired to reread the thread, so...
    Be sure to loosen the head before you change the setting. Also when you tighten the head with the Slim there is one last 1/4 turn to lock it down. Best shaves to you.

Herm2502 and BigMark like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to DE shaving. You picked a great razor. :happy096:

15. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

What he said. Nobody tells you that when you get an old adjustable. Happened to me. Didn't know about that last "lock down" turn, blade was a little loose and tore me up a wee bit. And not loosening it before you change the setting can damage the razor.

cubancigar2000 and Boojum1 like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Definitely keep trying. It does take a bit of practice to develop your technique with any razor in the beginning, just go slow and gentle. The Gillette Slim is a premium adjustable and is capable of excellent shaves. While I've never used a micro touch, I'm sure the difference between the Slim and micro touch are very evident. If you can in the future you should consider getting a Gillette SuperSpeed(which the MT is basically a copy of) just to compare the shave with your micro touch and of course add another quality safety razor to your collection :D.

Boojum1 likes this.
  17. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I'm new too (1 month coming up) and have an M2 (1967) Slim. I found that for me the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow worked very well with that razor but the Dorco blades that came with my MTO were just awful. YMMV, as many people have said, but I personally have had good results with the Yellows and also decent results with Personnas, including the CVS and Kroger-branded Personnas.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If 1964 is vintage, then I hate to think how I'm being classified? ;):D

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Do you really wanna know? ;-)

20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wise, sage and well seasoned.