First trip into the Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tomnat, Jun 9, 2011.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I had my first shave using my newly acquired Futur this morning. What a razor! I started at setting number 3.5, paired it with a Red Personna, and used an MB Awakenings/Proraso superlather. It resulted in a DFS, nearly BBS, with three passes and no touchups. I had no irritation, razor burn or anything. The weight of the thing was surprising at first, but I like it a lot because it makes it easier for me to use less pressure. I know some people say that it is hard to get under your nose with this thing, but I didn't find that I had any troubles with that, I just push my nose out of the way. I really like heftiness of the razor and the balance seemed really nice. All in all I am very pleased with this razor, have absolutely no complaints, and I can't wait for the next time to use it.

I should add a big thank you to Moe for the hookup!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm really glad you liked it Tom. I was loaned a Futur and I thought the shaves were good but I just didn't think they were good enough to justify the expense for myself. I know there are lovers and haters out there but I'm as vanilla as can be with regard to the Futur.

3. jtb

jtb New Member

The Futur is one of my favorites!!! I also like to Progress but I must say, I do get consistantly good shaves with almost any blade in the Futur.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree 90%. The other 10% lends itself to the fact I've never tried a Progress :happy102

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I get some nice shaves from the Futur, but my initial infatuation has worn off. It is a solid performer, but I've been reaching for the Old Type more and more recently.

Attached Files:

6. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Over the years, my Futur has gone from a razor I really liked to the one I use each and every day. It's a great razor!

3.5 is a bit aggressive for me. I use 1.5 with a Feather....

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:signs108 I wasn't even thinking of comparing to the Progress. IMO, the Progress is one of the best shaving most highly aggressive shaves out there-damn near a perfect razor; why they would stick that cheap plastic knob on it though is beyond me. Good thing there are Cooncats out there!

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Yea that, The Futur is not choosy about blades.
    It's a consistent performer.

9. Kyle

Kyle New Member

The Futur is the only DE I own, and have used. I love it, however I didn't use it much, I would say I probably have less than a dozen shaves with it. It's almost TOO easy to get an amazing shave with it, kinda takes the fun out of it for me! :happy102 (Never thought you'd hear that relating to shaving!) Plus I love straight razors too much!
    Good luck in the "Futur"! :laugh042

10. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Whats a Cooncat?

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Bob's Razor Works makes custom knobs for the progress razors amongst other things.

12. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Sweeet stuff he hast there - Thanks for the link!

13. Mattinnc

Mattinnc New Member

Hi Tom,

My Futur shaves are very close to BBS on a setting of around 2 ... with a Feather or other very sharp blade. BUT .... I cheat a little in that a use a Schick Injector around my nose and mouth.

I find there is a sound unique to using the Futur as is slices through my usual 2 - 3 day old beard.

Matt

14. jtb

jtb New Member

I keep my Futur at about 1.5 or 2. I get a good shave with everything from the American Personna to the Gillette Yellows (and a bunch in between).

I have a total of 5 razors but the futur gets the most play right now.

15. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I used it again today and noticed that I had it set at 3 and not 3.5 like I thought. I adjusted it down to 2.5 just to see if I could still get a nice close shave and once again, I ended up with a DFS with no irritation. I like this razor a lot and look forward to the next shave with it.