First use of Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by PLAla, Apr 29, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I never use one word when two will do.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hey, you're in my camp! So many people love it, yet I felt nauseous all three times I used it. I thought I must have picked up a bottle from a bad batch. I now have the same reaction to the smell of clubman that I have to gin (totally different story there. Let's say I was foolish at 18 during happy hour).

Boojum1, gorgo2, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

PLAla, ob1page and clint64 like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy097: Been there and done that too.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I first ran into Clubman as an adolescent in the late 60's. Bought it at the corner five and dime, splashed it on and thought I was a big shooter:). Ran into it again a year and a half ago. It was a transport back in time. Our barber used the Clubman talc. Clubman is a timeless scent from a bygone era.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Remember, the longer you wear it (lets say—for the next 30 years!), the more natural the scent will become and eventually match the scent descriptor! :D

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey! I resemble that remark:)

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

I bought a bottle when I first started out and was OK with it. Nowadays I find it's a little too..... Oldmanish? I've considered tossing it more than once. I'd donate it to another member but the postage would be more than it's worth.

Jim99, PLAla and ob1page like this.
  9. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

First use was December 1965. My barber gave small bottles to his customers as a Christmas gift. I like it and use it today.

10. Redfisher

While I was clearing the den for tomorrow's demo I went ahead and tossed it. Also sent the Lucky Tiger bay rum to the dumper. The stuff didn't smell like any bay rum I've used. I'm over the "oldmanish " scents I guess. Old spice left the house also.

clint64, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  11. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

It was the first aftershave I bought based on the recommendations here, and initially I liked it but then my tastes changed to more natural smelling things, even the artificial scent of shampoo makes me gag now, and let's just say that clubman makes me want to vomit. So fake smelling like synthetic, and I'm sorry but yes it does smell like older gentleman. I prefer balms and splashes made by artisans now to match soaps or witch hazel. I also like cologne as long as it is quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

13. Redfisher

+1

PLAla likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Labels for small bottles? I see @Jayaruh hasn't answered yet, but I recall him explaining on a previous occasion. I think he grabbed graphics from the interwebs, scaled down to fit the bottle size, printed on sticky back paper.
    From this; 16oz-Clubman-After-Shave.jpg to this; Clunman kabek.gif
    Not yet to scale, but clipped out, cleaned up, squared off.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nope.

Jim99 likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pinaud Clubman is good stuff. Its always in my rotation.

AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

On Amazon Clubman reviews(the 6 Oz). is at 1,410. 75% are 5-star.

AGHisBBS and PLAla like this.
  19. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

It seems as a young man who actually very much enjoys Clubman I am the odd one out in my age range. Even my wife loves it. It is one of my top 2 aftershaves, the other being Stetson

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I've never used it. I can't even remember if I've ever smelled it. The last time I was at a barber shop was when I was about 6 or 7 years old.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Spyder, PLAla and whiteboy_cannon like this.