First week complete

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kenneth Sampson, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

It's been a week since I started using my shavette. Only a tiny bit of blood the first day and it's been great. My only problem has been my neck area since it grows in 100 different directions.

Read through a cut thread on a different forum and usually when I read through some thing it almost happens to me. Well today's shave I was almost hit. I felt it head into the skin, but was able to stop it before any damage happened. Still blood free.

So far so good and still soaking up as much info as I can.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It sounds like you are doing really well with your shavette. I had a few really bad experiences with them, so I stick with Straight Edge Razors.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One week down...many more to go! Congrats & keep it up. It only gets better with more practice and experience!
    I found them (shavettes) somewhat harsh and absolutely unforgiving. The beauty of traditional SR blades is being able to customize the edge to one's tastes — adjust the feel depending upon the finisher used.
    I understand the appeal (relatively low maintenance compared to stropping/edge upkeep on traditional SRs), but I never had a truly comfortable shave using one. Some shavers do have good luck with shavettes and enjoy them.

4. Kenneth Sampson

I am looking at straights, but being right after Christmas I didn't budget for one. I do want to get one though.

5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I can relate...my whiskers grow sideways from about an inch to the right of my adam's apple to almost to corner of my left jawbone. Drives me nuts (and usually gets me bloodied) trying to scrape them off. I'm slowly getting it down, though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. Kenneth Sampson

I've gotten them decently well this time. Still a little rough but getting better each time. I just feel like I'm shaving off my skin to get to them. Up and down motion though it's nice and smooth

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is a great start for a straight let alone a shavette. It will just keep getting better. The more you shave the more you will be able to tackle the tough areas.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've not tried a shavette, but it sounds like you're making good progress:)

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

No shame in using a more well known razor to do your clean up. As you build skill and develop technique those problem areas will get conquered.
    This is week #1. Assuming you shave every day, by week 14 - about 100 shaves - all the difficulty will be a memory. Stay Focused!

DaltonGang, Spyder and Carbide Mike like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Kenneth!

Shavettes are basically my weapon of choice. You're doing very well, and it seems like you're getting it quick. Nice work!

RyX, DaltonGang, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Me too. I need a straight sideways pass across my throat from both directions. (Outside In.) it is super tough without standing on your head and saying a prayer.

It sounds like you are coming along fantastically. Keep at it, it will be second nature soon.

Spyder, Bama Samurai, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. Kenneth Sampson

Thanks. I don't plan on giving up. So far it's been very refreshing watching the progress of the shave.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.