Flipping a blade over....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael Carpino, Jan 22, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I couldn't agree more. You get to a certain point in life where there are some things that shouldn't be a concern or worry any more.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I basically do it to make sure that the blade is clean before the next use so a view of the base plate side provides the opportunity to flip to the cap / silo side.

3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I remove the blade from the razor after each shave, hold it under running water,
    and give each side a swipe or two with my brush. I then pat the blade dry on a towel,
    flip it, and store it in my homemade safety holder.
    I have no idea if this practice makes for better shaves, it just seems like the right thing to do.

4. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Does blade flipping every couple shaves give you better shaves longer?

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Even if you tossed your 12 cent blade after each shave, you would get 33 shaves for what it costs for those $4 cartridges. FYI I do arm strop my blades but do not flip intentionally. I usually just do a week, but back during the Federal Government shutdown in October, I used a Shark Super Chrome for 17 shaves. It could have gone further, but I retired it after the 17th shave. It outlasted the shutdown.

Shamrock likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If I HAD to follow that process I'd be back using electric razors quicker than quick :)

Having said that if it works for you then that is all that really matters.

tuxxdk and dscaver like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nobody has been able to scientifically prove it. It's something you have to try for yourself, then see if you think it works or not.

8. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have never been a blade flipper. As a matter of fact, it never crossed my mind and I did know this was a practice for some shavers. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks - no pun intended.

9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I flip my blades. I take the blade out of my razors after each shave. I rinse it off with warm water and pat it dry with a towel. I then put it in the paper sleeve and in the cabinet with the door ajar next to the desicant packs so there is no chance of rust. The only razor I do not do that with is the Auto Strop razor.