For those who came late to DE/SE shaving...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, May 27, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

...and weren't raised with old style wetshaving:

1. What was the first DE/SE/injector you obtained?

2. Do you still own or use that same model razor?

For me,

1. A 1912 Gem, closely followed by (I think it was) a blue Lady Gillette.

2. Nope, neither one. Nothing against them, though.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

1) lord L6 and a 61 super speed (arrived 2 days apart)

2) no they have been given to family members that are now using them

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

1) Merkur HD

2) Gone, For me the HD combined with Newb technique was brutal. Luckily I've found many other razors that I enjoy.

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I was 58 when I discovered classic wet shaving. I do not remember the blade I used, the razor was Gillette SS. Yes I still have in my rotation.

5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

In recent years a NPV safety razor,a TTO cheap model that still i have it in my closet
    My first was my fathers back in 1983,it was a Gillette copy and after a Schick Injector but i haven't them with me now.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Merkur 34C - the HD. Still have it. Still use it. Still love it.

7. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

1) Edwin Jagger DE89BA11
    2) Yes, but only because I escaped electric shaving a couple of weeks ago. I don't foresee myself acquiring any new razors in the near future.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

DE - 2007 Weishi - I still have it - First Non Cartridge Razor - Do not use it
    Injector - Schick J1 - I still have it - Use it
    SE - GEM 1912 - I still have it - Rarely use it

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

First DE: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    First SE: GEM OCMM

Still have 'em both. Don't use the Wilkinson Sword anymore, though. It was good for starting DE shaving, but in the meantime I fell in love with my vintage razors.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

1st DE: '68 Slim Adjustable; my 13 y/o son has it as his backup...he almost exclusively uses my floral ABC pocket razor....at least he has class ;)

1st SE: GEM 1912; sold it back when I figured out DEs were my preferred shaving method. I wish I hadn't though.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

first DE: Feather "popular" razor.
    first SE: Open Comb micromatic.

I don't own either of them anymore. The Feather was extremely mild, which was perfect for when I was just starting. I gave it away years ago. The OCMM was too aggressive- I liked it, but I just don't have the time and peace/ quiet in order to use it without shredding myself. I have it away, too.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    first DE: 60's era super speed w/wilkinson blades.
    first SE: Schick type C repeating razor w/Schick platinum blades

I still own both, but don't use the SS anymore, it's just too mild; excellent starter razor though. The Schick I just got last week. I still use Wilkinson blades but prefer Feathers.

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

1a) DE = Feather Popular followed by a Tech
    b) SE = GEM 1912 w/ chain handle
    c) Injector = L1

2a) Sold the Feather Popular as it was too mild. Kept the Tech for travel and don't use it.
    b) Yes, still have and use
    c) Sold the original one I had and bought another one about a year later to use for travel.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

First DE: Dad's '63 Gillette Silm w/ Wilkinson Blades. Still use it.
    First DE I bought: 60's Gillette three piece. Made in England still use it.

I recently got a Schick Injector but couldn't tell you what model or year it is.

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Post a pic.. that's what we're all here for.

16. Blobster

Blobster Member

First DE: a new Merkur three piece with an enormous solid handle. Can't find any info on it anymore. It's probably gone out of production.
    First SE: Bakelite handled GEM Junior

Don't use either but still have them rattling around in a drawer somewhere. As far as DEs are concerned, tried several mainstream Gillettes (Tech, Black Beauty, Flair tip, Old and New open combs) and I now almost exclusively use a 7O'Clock bakelite three piece. I was after the bakelite stick/travel tube it came in. Tried it once for a laugh and haven't put it down since. With SEs it's a choice between Featherweight, Bullet tip, Clog Pruf and Streamline.

17. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

1. Parker 99R
    2. Went "vintage" 3 months in, never looked back. The Parker is in the closet, unused. Poor thing.

18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Maybe I'm disqualified cuz I shaved for about ten years with double E's and injectors from the 70's to the eighty's..but didn't get nearly as good shaves as I do now. First razor when I restarted a couple of years back is a chrome plated BB Deluxe..which still sees a little use...

19. Woodshavings

Woodshavings Member

1. Three piece razor with a Parker head and a wood handle.
    2. Still have it and haven't tried any others yet but it's only been a few weeks.

20. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Started with a Parker 90R DE four years ago. I still have it and use it. My first SE is a Schick Injector G6. Got it back in April.