FREE CREAM - The Shave Cream Challenge

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Vlasta, May 24, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It looks like we’re all on a roll here. I’m very interested in how our reviews compare and what brands of creams we’re reviewing. This is fun!

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I will refrain from publishing numbers, to prevent any preconceived observations. I may give a general comment here or there. I will use the average function in the spreadsheet for my overall score. As I don’t have a real feeling for “cushion”. All creams will get a score of 5.
    I will say the first shave with L was a success, and am looking forward to round two tomorrow:)

Keithmax, Vlasta, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, I've just finished sample E and this one was interesting. The spreadsheet is populated and I've copied my results below. This cream made a great lather with one of my boar brushes. It was slick and the lather held through for two passes with my Gillette red tip. Post shave feel was great too. The scent???? It smelled like a bathroom cleaner! It's not overpowering, but it's there. Is this Arko? The good news is the scent dissipates quickly and does not linger post shave. Would I buy this one? Only if they changed the scent to something more of my liking.

@Vlasta , I'm curious to know what cream this one is, but I'll just have to wait till the end.

Sample E Slickness - 0 is no lubrication and 10 is like a fine oil - slick and smooth: 7

Cushion - 0 is poor and 10 is good an creamy: 7

Longevity - 0 means quickly fades and 10 means last the full 3-pass shave: 8

Ease of Lathering - 0 is mean and hard and 10 is easy as pie: 8

Fragrance - 0 means 'I hate it' and 10 means 'I love it - 'I am in heaven': 2

Longevity of fragrance - 0 is gone in seconds and 10 is lasts forever: 2

Post shave feel - o is dry as a bone and 10 is well hydrated: 2

Overall score - 0 to 10 - 10 is perfection: 5

Keithmax, Linuxguile and Vlasta like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I have the list in front of me and I am giggling.... you will all have to wait until the challenge is finished by all of you for the grand unveiling!

Keithmax, dustmite, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  5. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I am not in this but can't wait for the results.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

D provided lots and lots of lather.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Finished sample A today. Likely could have gotten two shaves out of that amount of cream. Impression with more cream added, needs more water to make it slicker, but still a DFS with no issues.

Vlasta, Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Just used sample B. I liked the performance a little better than sample A. Slickness was a notch or two up. But its that darn scent I can't wrap my head around and its driving me crazy. Lol I thought I felt a very mild menthol tingle on my head but I could have just been hallucinating. This is actually really fun! I decided to not post numbers, like another member, to help keep preconceived performance of a sample down.

Keithmax, Spyder, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    It is interesting to see your comments on scents - without the benefit of sight ie you never even saw the colour of the tubes!!

Keithmax, Spyder, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Following along, and can't wait to see the results! This could be very interesting if a sought-after cream gets a universally poor review, or an overlooked one lands on top!

Vlasta, GarnerPW, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    So far lets say "interesting results..." Some may be shocked.

Spyder, Jim99, dustmite and 1 other person like this.
  12. mrchick

This is interesting for me. I’m primarily a soap user. My cream experience is pretty much from starting out with Proraso and TOBS when I started wet shaving three years ago. I switched to soaps in the first year and have no clue what these creams might be.

Keithmax, Spyder, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    That's OK - rate them honestly is all I ask.

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  14. mrchick

I am. Thanks.

Spyder and Vlasta like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Valid point. I’ll refrain from posting up my results till the end. I don’t want to influence anyone on their reviews.

Vlasta and Spyder like this.
  16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Used "D" today. Liked the scent on this one the best so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vlasta and Spyder like this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

And so far, I am still sitting at the starting line with no engine in my racecar -- it's still in the mail...

I said in the PMs that I would do the samples in December because I am working through a 30-Day Rule in the 30DC thread. However, I got my brush and razor sorted out in the first week, so as soon as my package arrives, I will drop the Rule and move onto the Testing.

I suspect I will leave the fragrance and longevity of fragrance categories mostly neutral -- I have a rotten sense of smell, so unless the fragrance is very strong I can rarely identify it and I stop noticing it within moments of lathering up.

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I.finished L , there was two shaves in this sample. The scent on this is familiar cologne type scent. Kind of like hearing a song, but you can’t get the name of the band. This is driving me nuts;). I will buy this cream.
    I’m having the sense that if this test accomplishes anything; it will be an increased appreciation for creams in general.

Vlasta, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Nice - I know what you mean - the name is on the tip of your tongue but you just cannot get it!!!!
    take your time. I hope the stuff gets to you. So far I had no returns to me..... if I do get a return i will re-post it.

Keithmax, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

The shave with Sample A is in the books. Very similar to another cream I have. I'll do a smell comparison when I get home. Overall it was a decent performer.

Vlasta, Spyder, mrchick and 1 other person like this.