From a Mild Razor to OC

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Cap7597, May 22, 2015.

1. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I've always had problems with shaving. Sensitive skin and all. So, I've always had a goatee. My cheeks were shaved with a beard trimmer.

When I first started wet shaving, I picked up an EJ89L and a sample pack and went to town. I was shaving my head along with my face, but still had my goatee. I could use a Feather, Kai, and Med Personnas on the noggin. On my face I would do 1 pass WTG and call that good enough. It was just too irritating.

I grew my hair out and shaved my goatee and started the long process of finding a blade that I could use. Derby, Astra and Wilkinson Swords. I got comfortable with shaving and figured out what products I could and couldn't use. And RAD kicked in.

Started getting a lot of vintage and modern and the one thing that I found out was that I could not use an Aggresive razor. The Heavy Tech and Merkur was my go to's. Any time I used an OC or mean razor like the red tip, I got irritation and it was uncomfortable. Then I found out the secret to wet shaving for me....

Technique and No Pressure. Combine those two and I can shave with anything. From a Ball-End Tech to the R41. WTG, XTG, and ATG. 7 days a week. And I have found that I can get a much closer and smoother shave with an OC. I've even started shaving with SE Razors with no problems.

Technique: I slowed down. Watched videos. Really concentrated on how my beard grew. Payed less attention to how close I shaved and more about my arm movement and razor angle. I also, and this helped the most, kept a daily log of my shaves. Writing down where I had problems and what I did good. I absorbed myself in the shave while shaving.

No Pressure: when I say no pressure, that's what I mean. The main reason I was getting irritation and uncomfortable shaves was putting pressure on the razor against my face. I started thinking about the razor as a lawn mower. The mower you push and let it do it's work. That's all I do with any razor I pick up. I pull it across my face putting no pressure or taking any way and letting the razor do it's work. Using consistent strokes at different angles across my face, reducing the hair with each pass.

Finding the right blade helps for a smooth shave and longer lasting. I can shave with a Feather with no irritation. But only 2 days. A Gillette Silver Blue, very smooth and I can use it 6 straight days.

My go to razor is still the Heavy Tech, but also the SC OC New.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

:thanks:

This is a great reinforcement for me!

I used carts and electric for forty years, just started with a DE and traditional shaving this week. I never got vicious irritation, just a bit from time to time in the usual problem areas and it usually occurred when I rushed and / or didn't pay attention.

Discovering traditional wet shaving has been a revelation. Taking a little extra time, a little extra concentration and being a little more aware makes for a totally different experience. I don't want to get all zen-like, but this is one endeavor that really pays off if you stay "in the moment." I call it - in praise of slow.

And as you point out, then there's the whole idea of how we learn. Technique means everything in so many things people do. But it takes time, practice, effort and sometimes a bunch of discipline. Obviously, the masses are content with taking the time to apply those attributes on a very limited number of things. Shaving is evidently very low on that hierarchy.

Glad I found a place that thinks differently that way. As a week-old newbie, I'm about to embark on a 30-day Rule lockdown, with the focus simply on technique. Thanks for bringing this up as a thread, was good timing for me to see.

Cheers!
    - RT

178-bplatoon and Cap7597 like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also use a similar combo of DE's. A Gillette "NEW" LC/OC with a greistshaving "FAT" brass handle and a Weber DLC w/Bulldog handle in place of my Fat Handle Tech. Both give me excellent shaves. :happy088:

spacehobo, Rufus T. and Cap7597 like this.
  4. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I like that - "in praise of slow". Very well said. And congrats on the new way of shaving. It has pretty much changed a lot in my life. Slowing down and taking notice to the small details. And enjoying them.

Good luck with the 30 day Rule. It's a great thing to be doing. I'll be dropping by over there to follow the progress.
    Happy Shaving. :)

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You are a smart feller. We hear that, but if we don't at least give it a try, we are stuck with the same old thing. I too can shave with just about anything as long as I get the right angle and use no pressure.:happy088:

Cap7597 likes this.
  6. Here's my take on the Tech. In the revitalized shaving community it gets a lot of disregard as being mild. Well it is mild. But it also shaves great. I use a lot of different razors, but always enjoy returning to a Tech. Of course I'm a huge fan of the New both long and short, the R41, Old Types..

The Tech is just kind of like that old friend you take for granted. :) I don't know if that makes sense or not. It's the friend that never judges you, never tears your face up, even when you don't do your part. It still gives a great shave. No matter how much time you spend with other friends and ignore it, it's there waiting and still loves you when you come back. :)

Cheers

7. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

:signs011: