GEM G-Bar First Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by geeeyejo, Jul 19, 2014.

1. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Well tried out my "new" G-Bar this AM! I did not do my usual shower prep - just a hot towel then lathered up. I was expecting the mildness of the bullet tip and did not give the G-Bar the respect it deserved. This razor is definitely more aggressive and I ended up with a good nick streaming blood by my sideburns and two nice weepers under my chin. Actually needed the styptic pen for the nick to stop the blood flow. Results were not BBS on my cheeks but nearly so under my neck which has always been a trouble spot.
    I actually had an easier time with the MMOC believe it or not!
    Definitely a razor to be respected. Will do better prep next time and really focus on technique. Score: G-Bar 1 - Me 0...lol

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Stick with it, I think you'll end up liking it. I never really cared much for SE's until I tried a G Bar. It's a nice shaver.

geeeyejo and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, if you can handle the OCMM, you'll be a G-Man before long. ;)

geeeyejo likes this.
  4. gms541

gms541 Member

I like the looks of my G-Bar, but can't get a close shave from it. It's as if I have my Slim Adjustable set at 2, or I'm using my 1941 Ranger Tech. Too mild for me.

geeeyejo likes this.
  5. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

I feel the same - I think the limited (1?) blade choices for the GEM play a big role here. My 48 SS with a Derby is mediocre but with an Astra (I am waiting on trying a feather!) it is near BBS...