Gem Micromatic

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jason1977, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

I have MASTERED the art of shaving with the devilish GEM Micromatic! I have FINALLY figured out what was going wrong!!! I was SOOO accustomed to doing the "touch up pass" that I applied this part of my routine to the micro. THis thing shaves so close, you don't NEED a touch up pass. NO WONDER I shed blood like a stuck pig on this thing!

I finally realized, hey, if BLADES are different, then RAZORS must be different as well. I rinsed off after WTG, XTG, & ATG, & I DID feel slight stubble, but after the aftershave dried, I felt baby smooth! THIS thing has a way of pulling the follicles up so you feel whatever is beneath the surface being exposed! SO, if you're bleeding, you're probably hacking skin to get to what you THINK is stubble. NICE discovery today, I was looking to sell or trade this thing, but now I have reconsidered & I'm going to introduce it to my rotation.

Many don't like this razor, many don't feel like being a blood donor long enough to master the elusive sweet shave from a micromatic.....all I can say is what you feel after 3 passes is a touch sensory illusion, don't trust it..LOL!!!! I'm no longer a micromatic padawan...LOL!! If you have one but don't use it because of what I've mentioned, try only doing 3 passes, rinse, apply aftershave & wait for the skin to dry. THEN, prepare to be amazed.

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:happy088

I, too, enjoy my MMs. As they do shave so close, I only use them on Sundays. I found I was getting razor burn if I used them more than two or three days in a row. Great shavers, though. I'll keep mine.

3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

+1 on the Gem. My Push Button is the closest & most efficient shaver in my den. Often only 2 passes are necessary. It compares to using my EJ with a feather, only the Gem gives twice as many fine shaves.

4. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I have used the open comb Micromatic a couple of time but don't like the razor. Even though it has never nicked me I find it's a little too aggressive for my taste. I much prefer my Gillette Old Type.

Len

5. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

You said it. Though I have mastered it, it seems I haven't quite tamed it, lol. It is a fine razor to be sure, but it is one of those ones where I use it once in a week, then switch to a known kinder razor, like my merkur or EJ. My 1912, I can use all week until the blade is blunted. The micromatic I think is a razor for the person who shaves maybe twice or 3x a week. You hit the nail on the head though....good snap!