GEM newbie

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by StephenDE, May 17, 2010.

1. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

First, let me say: I blame you guys for encouraging me to do this (by example if not by word)...

My Gem Micromatic from the TSD store arrived today. I know some of you are Gem users...so, any tips on how to wield the thing? I've heard its different than a DE.

Like my Parker SR2, maybe I won't cut my face off with this one.

Seriously, any tips or advice you guys have would be appreciated.

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Be afraid, be very afraid . . .

Which Micromatic? Open comb? Bullet tip? Clog-Pruf? The open comb is the most aggressive of these.

Seriously, a 1912 or a G-Bar might be easier to start with, but you should be fine. Make sure you have a good lather on your face. Start with head of the razor flat against the face, which won't do much, then very slightly increase the angle, a little bit at a time, until you're just cutting hair. With an OC Micromatic the sound of the hair getting cut will be pretty loud. Tweak the angle slightly as necessary.

Take short strokes and use a very light touch. I find it easiest to hold the razor in a sort of pinch grip just behind the head, but others may disagree.

Consider getting your WTG technique down before going ATG, but go at your own pace. You might pick it up more quickly than I did. At any rate, once you find the touch, you'll be rewarded with great shaves. Enjoy!

3. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Thanks for the tips. Its an open comb I think. You can see a picture if you go to the TSD store, that's where I got it. I may hunt up a g-bar as I've heard good things about them. Mostly I just want to try a different style razor just to see what I think.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the open comb version. Don't worry, I was trying to instill, not fear, but respect for it.;)

If you like it, and want to try another SE also, consider a 1912. Not because it's easier, but just because it's a great razor.

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1 on the 1912. They're good razors and have a gentler learning curve than the o.c. Micromatics.

The open comb MicroMatic is a very aggressive razor. Respect the razor and you can/ will get a great shave.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Congrats on the score. Heed what Slivovitz had to say - good stuff.
    I love my MM OCs.

Do we now start calling you StephenDE/SE? :D

7. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm learning to respect an open blade anyway cf. my post on SoS and my Parker SR2. I'll watch myself.

swarden43- that depends...if I like it, yes, or I may have to change to StephenNoFace or StephenRB!

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Basically what has been said is all I'd echo, but use that thing nimbly! Keep the shiny part on your face! It is NOT a DE and if you go trying to find the andle as if it were a DE, like I did, you will have a very seepy face that will remind you what not to do for days. It is that bad if you do it wrong.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

That one's twin was my first real razor. There a tempermental species, uberlight pressure is the way to go. Visually inspect that the blade is under the retainer tabs before each shave (a blade loaded lop earred will give you a broken beer bottle shave really quick.) Of any razor ever, the term, Let the weight of the razor do the work applies to the Micromatic most of all. After a brief learning curve though, a Micromatic in the right hands will give epic BBS shaves.

10. sffone

sffone Member

I'm a big fan of GEM razors and shave with them all, but I've found that I get the best and closest shaves from the Clog-Pruf, even closer than with the open comb -- go figure!