Gem Push-Button

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by castrobabble, Apr 1, 2014.

1. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

I've shaved with a Gem PB 3 times now and have been unimpressed each time. It's a rather mild shaver and I feel that I have to go over areas, even those with light growth, multiple times to get it clean. I've been getting very good shaves with other SE razors that are more aggressive.

Those of you who enjoy it have any specific tips on mechanics that may help improve my shave with it?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The PB (along with the Featherweight and the Contour) is at the mild end of the GEM spectrum. If you need/want more aggressive, you need a different model.

You might try some skin stretching similar to what you do when shaving with a straight, but ultimately, the PB model just isn't for you.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Adjust your angle. Initially it gave me only a three pass DFS at best. Now I use it ever so slightly and i mean slightly off flat. Ive gotten a 2pass BBS shave with one that rivals the ER 1924 and exceeds the DFS shaves I get from the OCMM, doing so much quicker. Just don't underestimate it...

Also one thing I learned with SEs is to really know my face and all the contours and hair directions that go with it because if the much smaller angle. This is especially important on the PB IMO. Consider this a part of the learning curve.

+1 on the skin stretching. I do that will all my SEs. But I wouldnt say it isnt for him after only 3 shaves. It took me about that much to figure out the angle.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    maltedmilk likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used a Gem PB also and had pretty much the same experience as you...It gave a mild,pleasent shave,but not a particularly close shave...If you'd like a more aggressive but still pleasent shaving SE you might want to give an ER 1924 "shovelhead" a try...:)

5. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

Every equipment has it's own particulars, which is what I want to figure out with the PB. So far my best shave with an SE has been with a modified OC ER '14 that is definitely moe aggressive than the the PB. Also, I respond better to more aggressive shavers. For example, I'd take the red tip super speed over the blue tip, but I digress...

Next time I'll give the flatter angle a try, and do some skin stretching and report back.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same experience here. Although the only SE I own now is on the more aggressive end (an early Ever Ready), I found the G-Bar/Heavy Flat Top to be overall the best balanced and most pleasant shave. Wish I hadn't parted with mine.