GEM razors real cheap

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by white_feather, Jun 2, 2009.

1. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

I am SO confused. I see these GEM Clog Pruf and Micromatics on the evil auction site for stupid cheap. I am a newbie and I would like to know how I can tell which ones are good and which ones are bad. HELP!

2. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Great timing for GEM info.

I have a nice sampler set I want to PIF.

It includes models 1912, 1924, an open comb micromatic and some blades
    to get you started.

PM me your address and join the ranks of GEMocrats.

We love our GEMs.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

That is because the Micromatics are a little tough to get the hang of and have been known to bite. They take a lot of concentration to properly drive around the face and really not recommended for newbies.

If you want to try out a Gem/Ever-Ready/Star S/E, stay away from the TTO models. The 1912 models are really an awesome shaver and can be had cheap. If you do get one, be sure to read some of the instructions listed on here as to how to properly shave with one. It is a completely different angle than a D/E.

Or, take ajsaxs up on his offer!

4. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Very nice offer, AJSAXS! I recently bought an Ever Ready (1914 I believe)and do want to give it a safe whirl around my face. Where are the shave instructions, kind Gentlemen? I would assume the method would be similar if not identical?

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

It takes a little bit extra to get good shaves with a SE but the quality of the shave its simply outstanding.As the other fellows have told you go first for the 1912 and 1914 and later,when you have developed a better technique try the Micromatic and the featherweight.And as ajsaxs have said:WE LOVE OUR GEMS!

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

you can find them on the safety razor forum,on the top where it says"razor instructions".

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Take a look in this thread Bill.There are several Gem razors listed. The 1914 is the same as most S/E's. You hold it virtually flat against the face with just a small angle to get a proper cut. Enjoy that 1914, they shave great too!

8. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Now why would I look there? Actually I looked practically everywhere else! Thanks Teiste!

9. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Thanks, Bill!

Also, I assume from one of your tag lines you enjoy the amazingly talented and gone too young SRV. My wife and I put in his Austin City Limits DVD every other weekend or so over cocktails. It doesn't get any better! But I'm a slightly biased Texan. ;)

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Why yes, I am a fan. That DVD is awesome! Just love watching "Leave my girl alone" on that video. Proof that he still had it even after he cleaned himself up. That reminds me, time to change my video link.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

My hat is tipped to you ajsaxs. That is a great offer you are extending to white_feather. Bravo!

12. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Very nice of you ajsaxs! As a lil bunny would say....

Viva la Revolution!!!!

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

here's a little more information that should help clarify:

micromatics are open comb and very aggressive- in other words, they shave very closely but you can nick yourself very, very easily. I have one and I like it, but I don't use it everyday because it takes too much concentration.

clogprufs are closed comb. I hear they're milder than the micromatics.

Both of these razors are twist to open GEMs. The other GEMs I've used have all had a clamshell door on the top that flips open.

the clamshell type tend to be much more mild than the open comb micromatic. I have a featherweight (clamshell type, plastic handle) and it makes a good daily shaver.

the micromatic uses a different shaving angle than the other GEMs I've used. the head is shaped a little different and so you don't lay it almost flat against your face like the other GEMs, but rather, a little bit higher than that, but yet flatter than shaving with a DE. It takes some practice to get the micromatic angle right, but the average GEM angle is pretty intuitive. I picked it up right away.

14. Tommy C

Tommy C New Member

I like my Ever Ready but it is a totally different animal. I won't call it aggressive but I need only 2 passes to get BBS vs. 3 + touch up with most of my DE razors.