General thoughts and question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Gobucks, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Hello everyone,
    I have to say my last question I was totally overwhelmed with the response. Thanks so much.
    So I have started this wet shave adventure for a couple weeks and have to say what a tremendous routine this is everyday. Just to think for the last 35-40 years I would pick up a barbasol .99 can and shave everyday!! I know horrible I should be ashamed. What is done is done!! So now I am ready to move forward and get the best out of what was missing!
    I have gotten some samples form reading forms and am trying them. The problem is I can only try one a day! Love some like some and others ok.
    But my question is this? My observation is this the soap I use will last after the aftershave? correct? The aftershave will overpower soap shortly after but will shortly go away. I love the lingering soap smell.
    Is there something that can prolong the soap smell? I do like the aftershave so not using it is out of the question?
    Is there a soap brand that last longer?
    This may be a confusing question but I just wanted to say this wet shaving process is a eye opener. Love it!!
    Thanks again and have a great day.

Spyder, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Barbasol if it worked for you. As far as the soap, many (perhaps even most) are not that strongly scented. The AS will likely mask it, and the soap won't be noticeable once the AS fades. Many soap manufacturers offer matching AS, if you are looking to keep the scent longer. I believe there are also matching colognes for same.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Spyder likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Also along with what @lightcs1776 said, if in your post, you do a Hot/Cold water rinse, that will knock down the scent too. Somewhere around here is a thread about matching soaps/creams to various After Shaves. Use the search function and it may come up.
    Today I used Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour" soap and Fine "American Blend" A/S. But Canoe or the Clubman would've worked just as well.

Spyder, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tell us the soap & scent. Someone may already know a matching scent to carry it forward.

Scent oils in the soap don't linger on you skin for long. Rinsed off and down the drain and gone. But if you like that scent find a complimentary aftershave as it's going to last a little longer having more of the oils. Next step is a product with even more of the same oils. Eau de Cologne, and other concoctions that are less alcohol and more scent are available.

Spyder likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have tried a couple of samples of Nuavia Blu and Rossa soaps. The recommendation on this soap is to use the left over lather as a post shave. I tried this, and found my skin to be very soft, almost as if I used a post shave balm. I could detect the scent for several hours after, as could one of my daughters. It is pricey, but maybe something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Spyder likes this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I like Mickey Lee Soapworks and I have their matching aftershaves. Though, lately I've been using Wet Shaving Products Formula T. I don't have the WSP aftershaves, but I have lots of others. I just try to find a scent profile that prevents the soap and a/s from colliding. But, I think if you like the soap as much as you say, then I would try to find a matching scent.

Spyder likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Shop the TSD Store. https://www.theshavedenshop.com/
    Match all your scents (80+ to choose) from Pre-shave balm to soap or cream to aftershave to cologne!
    100% of the proceeds go to support our great forum.

Terry Williams and Spyder like this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Most all soap scents completely vanish if they are washed away fully. The strongest soap scents on the market belong to Stirling soaps, Catie's bubbles, and Barrister and Mann, however.

I suggest matching soap and aftershave sets. Some artisans even make bath soaps which elongate the scent even further.

Terry Williams and Spyder like this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Oh, I forgot to mention... chatillon lux has the longest lasting Aftershaves on the market (also the best, I'm) and they have some matching soaps as well

Spyder likes this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tabac is also strong scented. I have the soap, as, deodorant, and cologne, is I'm covered. Literally.
    Actually there are no rules for matching scents. Find what you like and roll with it:)

Keithmax and Terry Williams like this.
  12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Or, roll IN it.

Spyder likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yep.
    Get matching or complimentary sets of soap and aftershave. Pick a daily theme and run with it.
    I've seen some include bath/ body soap, shave soap, aftertreatments, cologne, and deodorants. While i don't match deodorant, i try to stick my shaves to themes if matches aren't available.