German Optimo - Anybody know anything about this?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I found this old safety razor at an antique shop ($4). Very industrial, not-very-friendly looking razor It says "OPTIMO GERMANY" on the underside of the head (it's just visible in the pic). Don't know its age and I can't seem to find much about it on the Internet so I'm coming to TSD for answers. It's a 4 piece (or maybe 5 piece?) razor that looks like it might be a travel razor of some type. I think that because the handle unscrews into 2 separate pieces each of which can be separately attached to the head as a short skinny handle or a short fat handle. Or you can connect them together to form a single, longer handle. In addition, the skinny portion of the handle fits perfectly into the end of the fat handle. I showed the skinny part sticking out of the bottom of the fat handle in the pic below, but it completely slides into the fat portion. This makes me think it may be missing an end cap perhaps? Any ideas?

Optimo 2.JPG Optimo 1.JPG

markjnewcomb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I never knew what mine was, either.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great find! I love it!

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I don't think you are missing anything. The one I have came in a very small (about 2" by 2") case. My impression is that it is a travel razor and the handle breaks down to facilitate use in a smaller case.

BTW - mine is a great shaver.

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Are you sure it's a Hoffritz? There are similarities, but it definitely says "Optimo" on the head.