GIlette TV Special (1st wet shave EVER!!!)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by priest2705, Oct 31, 2014.

1. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

So, I got my TV Special, along with my blade sampler and soap from TSD shop. I also purchased an inexpensive Omega from ebay, and everything arrive today. And, I just finished my first ever wet shave.
    First, I LOVE the pumpkin soap from TSD shop, smells fantastic, and lathers up much quicker than I thought. I figured that, being my first time, I was gonna be working at the lather forever. But, after soaking the brush and putting some water on the puck and letting both sit for about 10 minutes while I showered, I got a pretty good, and relatively quick, lather.
    Second, the Gillette intimidated me at first, especially once I put in a Voshkov (?) blade. I picked it at random from the sampler. But, I took my time, trying to remember to let the razor do the work and not apply pressure (easier said than done). I did a pass WTG, and was surprised at how close it got. The razor seems mild, or maybe it's the blade. No nicks on the first pass. Second pass was XTG, and just as mild and even closer. Still no nicks.
    So, why not? I went ahead and lathered up the head. Harder to remember not to apply pressure on the head, but 2 passes and 1 slight nick later, I was done, and impressed. Head, face and neck are close, not quite DFS, but close enough for my first shave. I'm definitely sticking with wet shaving

Troy M, GDCarrington, BigT and 7 others like this.
  2. priest2705

And here's some pics of the SuperSpeed TV. No cleaning on my part, it actually showed up looking that good :bounce015:

Attached Files:

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congrats! Sounds like your first shave went much better than mine. TSD Pumpkin Harvest is wonderful! That's a very nice razor you have. :happy088:

GDCarrington and priest2705 like this.
  4. priest2705

Thanks. I was expecting to be bleeding out on the bathroom floor by now, or tomorrow morning, after I'd spent all night cleaning the SS. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at the whole thing. No razor burn at all, that small nick on my head, which I'd probably have gotten with my old disposable. So, definitely a good experience. Now, time to work on the technique

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Congrats, it only gets better from here.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Congratz, Priest! I'm glad you liked the shave! And great to find that the first blade you use suits you. Blades are considered by many to be the most YMMV thing in wet shaving (YMMV = Your Milage May Vary).

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I'm curious why you're calling it a TV Special, does it have a Z date code or you have the case for it?

8. priest2705

Well, based on the look, I compared it with the pics from the Super Speed identification thread, and it seemed to match. I didn't get a case with it, and, being new, if I'm wrong, please let me know. If it's another model, well, I'd rather call it what it is than what I thought it was

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. HoosierTrooper

The 1954 TV Special came with a special blue case that has "TV" molded on it, and it should have a Z date code.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. priest2705

Looks like mine is an X4

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're all set! Enjoy your shaves!

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. priest2705

Thanks. Can't wait for the next one

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. HoosierTrooper

1952 Super Speed. Nice looking razor.

14. priest2705

Thank you. I'm feeling it. Not as scary as I thought. Comfortable shave, and I'm sure that, once I get my technique down, it'll give me the BBS that I want. Still,still was a pretty good shave

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Great start. Congratulations!

The Super Speed is known to be a slightly below what we now call medium aggressive on the scale of razors. They are great for people to start out with to figure out whether that is the level to stay at or to get more aggressive.

When you find the blade that you like and if this is a razor of choice for you, consider locking down your technique using the 30 day rule.

16. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Congrats! That is a successful first go. Very cool. I found there were peaks and valleys in my level of success through the early days...a lot of it had to do with me trying different blades and soaps as I was learning. The variety wasn't doing me any favors. Consistency helps get things figured out early on.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. priest2705

Thanks. I have a Ball End Tech coming next week, so I figure that, once I've decided which of those two works best, and decide on a blade, I'm gonna do the 30 day rule

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a 40s style SS. I am using my 47 SS for the month of NOVember. It's a very good razor.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

It only gets better with time.