Gillette aristocrat

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Toomuch40, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

Gillette aristocrat
    Pretty sure what I have is an original – a few years ago after my father passed away I found this razor. I tucked it away because at the time I wasn't into safety razors. So fast forward to now – being very much into double edge safety razors I wanted to know how to find identifying marks on the razor to make sure that this is legit. [​IMG][​IMG]

Is there anything that I should do to prep this for shaving? Sorry to ask these basic questions but being new to this I just don't know.

preidy, Bobcat, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I believe it's a 1948 Aristrocrat.
    To clean it I would put it in a bowl or Pyrex pan. Put in some dish soap. Now in a pan heat up some water right before it boils... Then pour it over the razor and let it sit for 30mins to 1 HR. Then pull it out and rinse off. Get a toothbrush and use some soap to clean it up . And enjoy it!!

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Here are potentials of what yours is.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tdmsu, twhite, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  4. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

Awesome. I'm cleaning it right now. Can't wait to use it tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macaronus and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Look on the bottom of the razor and see if there is a date code. If you enlarge the pic of the '51 above you will see a W on one corner and a 1 on the other corner. If there is no code it pre-'51. If there is a code post it and we can tell you the exact year.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

On the bottom of the base, where the handle attaches, find the markings. On the right side will be a single letter (A-Z), the left a single number (1-4).
    Those are manufacture dates. Not all years have them, but most do.
    That gold plating is very thin and subject to damage. Don't use harsh chemicals or abrasive polishes unless you want to see what brass looks like. I'd suggest starting with your warmest tap water and Dawn dish liquid. Put the razor in a tall enough container to submerge it totally, squirt of soap & add water. Now walk away for an hour. When you come back, grab an old tooth brush and gently scrub in all the nooks and crannies. Rinse and enjoy. If the Twist To Open seems difficult a couple drops of mineral oil (baby oil is the same with scent added) down from the top / flip / down from the bottom may help. These old razors collect soap and stubble inside. You don't want to break it by forcing the threads.
    Once it's clean of crud and lubed, a fine polishing compound can be gently used to restore the gloss. The original finish was protected by a clear coat of lacquer that may already be gone.
    Good luck! Post your results over at THE SHINE BOX!

Tdmsu, macaronus and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

There is a W and 1

8. Jorvaljr

Then it's a 1951. See the last pic I posted

9. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

And it really cleaned up nicely. Thanks to you all for your help.

macaronus likes this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The W indicates 1951 the 1 indicates first quarter, so Jan. Feb. or March. 1951. Looks like it's in great shape. Let us know how it saves.

11. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

That's a nice one!!! The aristocrat is one of the razors on my list to add to the collection. I hear great things.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great looking razor. It's wonderful to see razors passed down in families, especially beautiful ones. Just remember, the gold plating is very thin, and be gentle when polishing. Soft toothbrush and dish soap from here on, unless a major cleaning is needed. Then repeat what you have already done, with the hot water/soap soak.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! In the future, know this, water that is too hot can take the finish off gold plated razors.

Welcome to the Den!

Bobcat likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's a family heirloom! Those are great razors and you'll get fantastic shaves from it. I find the weight, balance, knurling on the handle and the overall quality of the Aristocrat to be outstanding! I have one in the rotation and always look forward to using it.

As already stated, be gentle on the cleanup as yo don't want to damage the gold plating. Your razor looks to be in great shape and, with a little care, will last another lifetime.

I sure wish my father didn't throw out all of his old Gillettes!

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Aristocrat is a sweet shave! Enjoy and congrats on the family find.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

Just wanted to give an update with the Gillette aristocrat razor.
    Today was my first shave ever with it and I have to say it was spectacular. I used a Personna blade-and the art of shaving cream.
    Thanks to everyone for the tips and speaking of tips-what are good brushes to get?
    Maybe you could point me in the right direction.

17. Jorvaljr

What kind of brush do you have now?

You can get a synthetic from Italian barber for a good price
    You can get semogue boar brush for a good price on eBay or Amazon too.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a fine razor there. I want to see pictures of it all cleaned up. Please...

The fact that it belonged to your father makes it even more special.

RyX likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    RyX likes this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It looks cherry, you should be proud to have it. One of the nicest Gillettes out there IMO.